Preference: tube or solid state?

skatalite

• Members

I've owned what you could consider allot of amps, encompassing SS, hybrid and tube.

And as far as it goes I don't have a definite preference, just what ever sounds good to me or suits the situation really, my favourite amp so far has been the marshall jcm800 though.

• Members

i'm going to have to say SS. easier to mantain and transport, and you can usually get plenty of headroom for a significantly lower price :cool:

for guitar, though, i use tubes almost exclusively when it comes to high volumes. there are some good SS guitar amps out there, but i prefer tube.

• Members

They don't
have
to add colour, but they are usually made to so that people don't complain of their amps not being "tubey enough".
:)

Well, in my experience, even in a ground state of "push", tube amps color your sound. In my experience, they're instantly biased towards thick, thuddy(not excessively, normally) lows, and a warmth that I don't need. Haha. That's just me.

I like to get what I put in, for the most part. Amplification is just volume, for me. :)

• Members

I love some tube amps, but they're usually not my cup of tea-the all-tube Traces and old SVT's are the exception to the rule there. I usually find tube heads to be too muddy for my tastes, unless I'm playing rock.

For practical purposes, I prefer pure solid-state, which is why I sold my Sunn-the tube pre made things a little too furry.

We'll see how the GK works.

Archived