Preference: tube or solid state?

skatalite

• Members

I have a tube, a hybrid, and a SS. I prefer the tubes, but that head is so heavy! It's also the least powerful, so it's kinda tapped out. Right now, I'm using the "best of both worlds" hybrid. It's plenty loud. It sounds great too. However, I am going to start using a SS as my main amp in the near future. With twice as much power than my hybrid.

I'm no help at this stuff. I like all of it. Let me say like this...

For different styles of music, I would use different amps. Can I get away with one? Of course! Do I have to? Nope. I'm not sure which I would choose if I could only have one. Probably an all tube...like a Mesa 400+

• Members

Most people know me for being a hardcore tube person but I like transistors too. It's a lot easier to achieve light overall weight, low power consumption, a decent price, low maintenance and impedance flexibility using a solid state design. They can sound pretty good too and they don't need to be transformer coupled so in theory their bass response could go marginally lower than that of a tube amp(where the transformer usually determines the lower -3db frequency, somewhere usually around 30 hz).

That said, there's just something amazing about tubes. They seem really elemental to me and the circuits don't have to be complicated to achieve great sound. I am not a big user of compression, but when you get a tube amp close to but not quite at the point of clipping the preamp, you get a nice sort of 'natural' compression that doesn't smack of "opto comp".

• Members

I prefer a tube amp, but there are solid state amps that I will happily use - most of the GK line is very solid, and the Monoblock is also an excellent, if slightly bland, SS amp.

Don't give me any of that Eden, SWR, modern Ampeg, or (yamaha/crate/behringer) no name SS crap though.

• Members

Preference = tubes. :)

My main two amps for the last decade have been the GK 800RB, and the Ampeg SVT-CL. Both are great amps. These are not the only amps I've owned and used.

What I like about the tube amp is that it's dynamic and expressive in a way solid state amps are not. What I mean is when you really dig in, it sounds like it. You hear the difference in tone. There's nuance that solid state can not deliver. Even at low volumes with tons of headroom, there's a difference. Tubes just respond differently.

Archived