Wanna drop $380,000 on some speakers?

BassMaster General

• Members

Wouldn't that still be the bottleneck though?

Depends who you ask. In all honesty, as much as audiophiles use the war cries of "true-to-life," "flat response" and "real" in their quest for sound, it's all about what sounds best to the individual since we all perceive sounds differently.

So if your store bought CD sounds better to you on a pair of $300,000 speakers versus a $3000 pair, that's really all that matters. IMO, the quest is not so much for perfection in relation to absolutely identical reproduction of the original as much as it is about getting a system that has the qualities you want.

• Members

Depends who you ask. In all honesty, as much as audiophiles use the war cries of "true-to-life," "flat response" and "real" in their quest for sound, it's all about what sounds best to the individual since we all perceive sounds differently.

So if your store bought CD sounds better to you on a pair of $300,000 speakers versus a $3000 pair, that's really all that matters. IMO, the quest is not so much for perfection in relation to absolutely identical reproduction of the original as much as it is about getting a system that has the qualities you want.

what a cop out answer :mad:

:D

• Members

Electronic gear with exposed components = Major Douchebaggery.

There are actually very practical reasons other than looks for having tubes on the outside of a chassis and it's been done since the 30s, so it's not like it's a new trend in audio esoterica. Of course, it's totally impractical for anything but home use....

Personally, I think exposed tubes, especially nice mesh-plate 300Bs look lovely in a dark room...

If you're running class-A 300Bs, they'll dissipate 20W each. If you have 4 of them, that's an awful lot of heat to dump inside a chassis and would necessitate the use of forced air cooling, which you don't want in a home stereo. Plus 300Bs are 6" high, so they'd require a pretty big chassis to get them inside it anyway.

I'm not saying that major douchebaggery doesn't exist in audio though. There's plenty of that to go around.

:poke:

:p

• Members

I'm usually the first one to rail against audiophile esoterica, but those Wavac amps I posted earlier are pretty cool.... Who else makes a 150W, fully class-A amp? Most true class-A amps are 5W or less It uses 6550s as preamp tubes for God's sake! the plate voltage on the 833 is 1200V! They make great heaters. I listened to a system with these amps at CES a couple of years ago and it sounded pretty damn good. Worth $350000? Nah.

You can get some very high-end CD-players too... You wouldn't drive a high end system with a $40 CD player from Wal-Mart.

Archived