this is a bass...right?

soliloquy

• Members

i admit, i'm not too familiar with the full potentials of a bass guitar. i know of what bass legends, and i know what they can do. and i also know famous bands that have 'amazing bass solos' like 'u2'...but really there is nothing too amazing about them...so i always found majority of bass lines to be monotone...for some reason they rather backup the guitarist, and not the other way around...

anyways, just wondering if this is a bass. it sounds like a bass that is going through a distortion pedal, and a wah pedal....but at the same time, it kinda sounds like something that can be achieved through a voice changer and done all by vox...

it starts at 6:30. the song itself doesnt start until 1:00 or :59 or something...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iQ5m6fXMJD0

• Members

you didnt like that? i think the band is pretty cool

yeah, i always liked bass, and i know that bass guitars can do 'something' but every time i'm jamming with a bassist, he/she would rather follow me. i rather follow him and give him a lead or two..but nope...cant get a note out of him...

• Members

you didnt like that? i think the band is pretty cool

yeah, i always liked bass, and i know that bass guitars can do 'something' but every time i'm jamming with a bassist, he/she would rather follow me. i rather follow him and give him a lead or two..but nope...cant get a note out of him...

No...the singer killed it for me. In truth you should be following the bass and drummer not the other way around.

It's very difficult to tell in that video whether it's bass or not, but I only see one guitarist and the singer/bassplayer. The guitarist seems to have just his tone going on so I would assume the bassist is making the rest of the racket. I don't know what he's using though...if it was a wah you would see him working it with his foot. It could be a synth of some sort?

Dan

• Members

I'm guessing its the synth or its sampled. I don't see a synth player, so its probably sampled. Something very similar could be achieved with a bass going through effects, but It doesn't sound like its the bass in that clip.

That was what I was thinking too.

Dan

• Members

The band is obviously playing over a recording of an orchestra. I liked the video.

I'm assuming the sounds in question are the distorted vocals. I've actually recorded a demo for a Denver band whose vocalist was able to move from singing to that sound without effects and without changing volume. Not my music style, but interesting just the same. (One of my more enjoyable encounters with thrash rockers.)

• Members

I'm guessing its the synth or its sampled. I don't see a synth player, so its probably sampled. Something very similar could be achieved with a bass going through effects, but It doesn't sound like its the bass in that clip.

I agree... maybe some kinda backing track they're playing along with? I hear a keyboard come in the last few seconds and there's no synth/keyboard player on stage.

• Members

sounds like a talkbox.

My thought as well. It sounds a lot like his vocal sound, so it's the only thing thta makes sense. I'm thinking it's his bass going through a talkbox, but it was recorded and sampled so he didn't have to do it live, and he's getting no respect from me for that!

• Members

To me it sounds much more like an envelope filter than a wah. But again, I'm almost certain that the sound in the original video is sampled and not being played live (band playing with a backing track), just like the strings, etc. There are bits to the fills where it doesn't quite follow the guitar or the bass.

Archived