Acoustic Basses, what turns you on?

Sammy TWP

• Members

Not uprights.

I've been playing a lot of different ones and the Michael Kelly Club custom seems to be the best so far IMHO, it sounded good with nice sustain and good projection, (something that acoustic basses lack in my opinion) Even the high end Martins and Tak's just don't measure up.

The fenders are pure crap, havent had the chance to try any Ibanez yet.

what say you guys?

• Members

I really like this one. It's an Ozark 3516.

It doesn't show in the pic but it comes with a lipstick PU.

The nut is cheap plastic and the string rest atop the bridge is a cheap piece of wood that needs replaced IMHO.

After that it's a very interesting animal that speaks pretty loud.

ozark%20res%203516.jpg

• Members

The Tacoma's are really nice basses. But for the money, and when I buy the one I want....it's Breedlove all the way.

abj250_sm4_210.jpg

http://www.breedloveguitars.com/instruments/guitars/atlas/abj250_sm4/index.php

About $1000, but GuitarX had a 5 string fretted and a 4 string fretless that I just fell in love with. Their acoustic guitars are unbelievable as well. I'd put them right up there with a Martin or Taylor.

• Members

My little pet. Had Larrivee put it together back in 1989. Rosewood, five string fretless. Spruce top. E-A-D-G-C. Have to have D'addario make a custom C string to match the others as the scale is so long. I have read that Mike Manring has one like it but that and this one are the only two I am aware of. Baggs saddle pickup. With the Baggs preamp this thing really sounds sweet.

larr2.jpg

larr3.jpg

• Members

ABG solo at around 1:30... Don't know what he plays. It's Violent femmes, btw.

EDIT: Doh! can't get the stupid youtube thing to work. here's the link:

If I remember right - he plays the granddaddy of all acoustic bass guitars - the original Ernie Ball Earthwood. I've been trying to score one for years. Huge suckas.

Edit: Oh, and for the youtube imbed, you just include the youtube reference code, "-TY2h3Pd1Iw" in this case:

-TY2h3Pd1Iw

(that's kind of a screwed up one, with the "-" at the start)

• Members

I own a Guild B30e, I bet it's every bit as big as Brian Ritchie's Earthwood bass. You can be heard with one acoustic guitar, two will bury you unless you are playing with a pick (unamplified for all concerned). I've played around the campfire with this bass, it's a real sweetheart. Had to have the neck straightened after several years of ownership and had the saddles messed with to get the intonation closer.

• Members

I own a Guild B30e, I bet it's every bit as big as Brian Ritchie's Earthwood bass. You can be heard with one acoustic guitar, two will bury you unless you are playing with a pick (unamplified for all concerned). I've played around the campfire with this bass, it's a real sweetheart. Had to have the neck straightened after several years of ownership and had the saddles messed with to get the intonation closer.

I think it's funny when you say "unless you use a pick", because I lose TREMENDOUS amounts of volume when I play pickstyle.

Like... It's terrible. I attempted it in the acoustic room at GC, and yeah. The friend I was with was like "Stop that. You play with your hands. Make it loud." :p

Archived