Buying cars!

Crescent Seven

• Members

I've been dealing with car salesmen all day. I feel like I need a shower...

Although I kind of enjoy the game a little bit, since I've got my financing all lined up. I'm lowballing the {censored} out of these clowns on an Xterra and sitting back. They won't give me what I want at the price I want, so whatever, someone will.

It's amazing what some people manage to do to a car in 30k miles. I'm seeing 2007's that are just hammered, with massive tire wear, dirty headliners, stains on seats, scratches, it's wild. How on earth they expect to get what they're asking for these things is beyond me, but I'm fairly patient, so we'll see what happens. I've looked at about 25 today and not one of them was in better condition physically than my Mazda, which has 65k on it. I might have to go private party if this {censored} keeps up...

C7

• Members

I always go private party because it works two ways:

1. Normally you can talk them down easier because they aren't experienced.

2. You can get a feel for the car by talking to the person, seeing the records etc.

Especially since you have your financing all lined up! If you have to sell yours, sell it and then buy. The worst mistake you can make is a trade in deal. That {censored} won't ever happen to me again. Good luck in your search:thu:

Dan

• Members

Getting taken while buying a car is extremely easy, unless you're determined to get the lowest price in the history of the free world, then it's a pain in the ass.

Fixed it for ya:D. I've never had an easy experience without getting taken for a ride. To get the car you want at the price it's worth is hard. They don't make money if you get a deal. This for dealerships only though...private parties are so much easier. I never want to go to another dealership ever..those jackals have no soul.

Dan

• Members

Buying a car is extremely easy, unless you're determined to get the lowest price in the history of the free world, then it's a pain in the ass.

I'm not determined to get the lowest price in the history of the free world. Just one of the lowest prices in the history of the free world. :D

We have a number we're able to spend, then we have my number. If I can't get them to come down to where I want to be, that's cool. I'll just start asking for a factory warranty extension, fog lamps, nerf bars, ski rack, tires, etc.

If a dealer offers to put on some 12" rims and a little chain steering wheel, I'll sign right then and there.:idea:

C7

• Members

Fixed it for ya:D. I've never had an easy experience without getting taken for a ride. To get the car you want at the price it's worth is hard. They don't make money if you get a deal. This for dealerships only though...private parties are so much easier. I never want to go to another dealership ever..those jackals have no soul.

Dan

Not at all. I bought a used car for my daughter 5 months ago. We went to Carmax and we were in and out with a very nice car at a fair price in 2 hours. My daughter was so cute. It was her first car buying experience and she was all nervous...well dad I don't know what I want! I told her, relax dear...the car will pick you.

I told the sales guy how much we wanted to spend and he started showing us cars in that price range. My daughter fell in love with a little 2007 Hyundai Accent SE with 1000 miles on it. The sucker is really loaded with power just about everything on it. I asked the salesguy how much, he said $12,995 and I said "sold". See, it's easy as pie when you're not obsessed with getting the lowest price in the universe.

2007_Hyundai_Accent.jpg

• Members

I hate car shopping when it comes on me unexpected, like now. I'm not into the market, there's nothing that I really want to chase after, and financially it's not a good time. I'd rather not have to have the hassle. Now, when I've actually been planning it, that's a different thing.

• Members

I told the sales guy how much we wanted to spend and he started showing us cars in that price range. My daughter fell in love with a little 2007 Hyundai Accent SE with 1000 miles on it. The sucker is really loaded with power just about everything on it. I asked the salesguy how much, he said $12,995 and I said "sold". See, it's easy as pie when you're not obsessed with getting the lowest price in the universe.

When you're dealing with brand new, you can look at a price and be fairly certain about it, because they're fairly consistent from dealer to dealer. With used, there's usually enough profit built into the price that you can shop for a killer deal. I don't feel bad at all for offering a low price and going for a big discount. And I'm not in a hurry to buy, either.

I'll let the sales guys stew on my offers for a few days and see if they call. If they don't, I'll go back and take counteroffers, and start asking for add-ons. If they won't do that, I'll go private party. No biggie.

C7

• Members

I bought my wife's new Toyota Matrix 95% online.

I contacted several dealers, told them exactly what I wanted and to give me an out-the-door price. When I got the info, I researched it on the net. Once I determined it was fair, I call the salesguy to testdrive the vehicle. Since we'd agreed on a price, the transaction was simple. It's the only way I intend to ever buy a vehicle again.

• Members

Just bought a car today for my wife. A 2004 Hyundai GLX. Hammered out the deal with the salesman no problem. But you have to watch out for the F&I guy. Came back and added 2 full points on the financing raising the over $20 a month. Also without asking he added in Gap Insurance also raising the payment. We told him we would go with our credit union and started to walk out and he went back, pulled the insurance and dropped the price on the car so the payment came out the way the salesman wrote the deal. Ef'n F&I guy.

• Members

Just bought a car today for my wife. A 2004 Hyundai GLX. Hammered out the deal with the salesman no problem. But you have to watch out for the F&I guy. Came back and added 2 full points on the financing raising the over $20 a month. Also without asking he added in Gap Insurance also raising the payment. We told him we would go with our credit union and started to walk out and he went back, pulled the insurance and dropped the price on the car so the payment came out the way the salesman wrote the deal. Ef'n F&I guy.

{censored} the finance department, those are the guys that really rip you off. I'll never deal with one again.

They try to sneak all kinds of {censored} in, that's why I agree on a price of the vehicle "out the door", and when the Lienance manager tries to add stuff in, I say "nope, not one penny more, you need to figure out how to make it work at that price, not me."

C7

• Members

Yeah, a lot of car salespeople are real cocksuckers. Some are pretty cool of course, but there are far too many snakes in the business in my opinion. I've talked to a few ex-carsalesmen before and they pretty much echoed Perfessor's sentiments. One of them even said he quit because he "couldn't keep lying to people."

Some dealers around the Twin Cities are insane. My sister is currently leasing a car and I went along for the ride when she did it. They really turned the screws on her and I'm kicking myself for not speaking out. She leased a car for $199/mo, no downpayment. That's what they said. Of course after she agreed and started signing things they told her about the tax and title (around a grand), and the "maintenance plan" she had to buy. Of course the maintenance plan isn't compulsory, but if you don't buy it they get to charge you to "recondition" the car after your lease is up. I'm talking things like $700 for a set of 15" car tires. :rolleyes:

The lead salesguy was a real prick too. He even looked like one, and was all smiles when he told my sister that her trade-in wasn't worth anything and he could give her fifty bucks for it. I would love to stroll back into that place with a .40 cal S&W and watch those guys beg for their lives before I shoot each one of them in the back of the head, execution style. Okay, enough of that talk. :freak:

It's not uncommon to see used cars for big $$$ up here either. The same screwball dealer I mentioned above had a 2005 Scion xA with 30k miles tagged for more than it sold when it was new.

To anyone looking to buy a car...

http://www.nadaguides.com

and to a lesser extent...

http://www.kbb.com

I will never pay over book price for a vehicle.

Archived