AMPEG DIED!

facedown704

• Members

They aren't all that hard to do. Obviously it is costly to make custom electronics, so one offs or small runs are expensive, but for a large scale production it isn't that bad. The problem is the change in the supplier. It's a new supplier that needs time to ramp up and get the right product coming off its lines. The disappointment is that they are using the product coming off the lines before it is up to spec. That is, if my source is to be trusted. I trust him, but I am not in the factory and am not testing the units coming off the lines.

Who is your source for this information?

• Members

Hahaha.

..... There is absolutely nothing wrong with manufacturing in another country if you maintain quality control on the component specs. In this case, the specs aren't quite back up to the original design parameters. For example, I do not believe they have a good Asian transformer being built for that particular amp yet. Once they do (for that component
and
the rest), there will be no issues.......

QC....like in China?

;)

:poke:

I have the SVT III (bought used for 175), Made in St Louis. I have had it for 5 years and so far so good. I don't like it as much as my old '72 SVT head but I couldn't afford one of those monsters now anyway.

• Members

They aren't all that hard to do. Obviously it is costly to make custom electronics, so one offs or small runs are expensive, but for a large scale production it isn't that bad. The problem is the change in the supplier. It's a new supplier that needs time to ramp up and get the right product coming off its lines. The disappointment is that they are using the product coming off the lines before it is up to spec. That is, if my source is to be trusted. I trust him, but I am not in the factory and am not testing the units coming off the lines.

How many mass producing transformer companies can there be?

Maybe the Ampeg specs are theirs (proprietary)?

It is hard to imagine the most important component could be let out the gate if it's an issue, which appears to be.

• Moderators

How many mass producing transformer companies can there be?

Maybe the Ampeg specs are theirs (proprietary)?

It is hard to imagine the most important component could be let out the gate if it's an issue, which appears to be.

I'm sure it will be under control soon enough, if it isn't already. My point is this:

(1) country of origin has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the product.

(2) quality of the product has everything to do with the quality of the product.

• Members

I'm sure it will be under control soon enough, if it isn't already. My point is this:

(1) country of origin has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the product.

(2) quality of the product has everything to do with the quality of the product.

The quality of the products made on Asian assembly lines manned by people who make slave wages has everything to do with how willing you are to watch them like a hawk and how much money you're willing to spend on quality control checking everything that comes off the line.

• Members

The quality of the products made on Asian assembly lines manned by people who make slave wages has everything to do with how willing you are to watch them like a hawk and how much money you're willing to spend on quality control checking everything that comes off the line.

You talkin' about me? Huh?

:D

This somewhat similar to MIM Fender. Their QC was {censored} and now is apparently getting better but it does take a while for some organizations to get their asses in gear. They usually learn it after their sales slump.

Archived