Do 4's sound the same as 5's?

REMUS

• Members

While I'm sure that there'd be some total differences (more metal on the bass due to a bigger bridge, more wood on the neck, etc...), I seriously doubt that you'd be able to tell the difference between them all other things being equal. Then again, I've done an in-depth A/B.

• Members

I was just thinking, how do 4 string basses of the same sort of spec compare to 5 strings (or even 6+ if applicable).

Anyone got two of the same to kiss and tell?

Yeah, for the most part. I don't have the same strings on my SR4 and SR5, but they sound similar nonetheless.

There is really no reason for them to sound different.:idk:

• Members

Yeah, for the most part. I don't have the same strings on my SR4 and SR5, but they sound similar nonetheless.

There is really no reason for them to sound different.
:idk:

Sure there is. The pickups and preamps are different from an SR4 to an SR5. The older SR5's had the same parts, but the newer ones are more like a Sterling.

SR4: Alinco magnet

SR5/Sterling: Ceramic magnets

Bongo: Neo magnets

My SR4 and SR5 sound similar, but not quite the same. I prefer the sound of my SR4 to it...but I always play 5ers.

• Members

My SR4 and SR5 sound similar, but not quite the same. I prefer the sound of my SR4 to it...but I always play 5ers.

This is not a good base of comparison because a SR5 is actually a Sterling 5.

There is no tonal difference between a Sterling and a Stingray 5.

• Members

Sure there is. The pickups and preamps are different from an SR4 to an SR5. The older SR5's had the same parts, but the newer ones are more like a Sterling.

How old do you mean when you say "the older SR5's"? Mine was made in '95 and my SR4 in '89.

• Members

How old do you mean when you say "the older SR5's"? Mine was made in '95 and my SR4 in '89.

I'm not 100% sure on that. I think they changed them in the mid 90's, but I could be totally wrong. Yours very well might have the alnico pickups. If you're really curious, do some detective work over on the MM forum. I guarantee you'll find an answer. I'm doing some searching myself...cause now I really want to know!!!

EDIT: I opened a thread over on their forum to get an answer...I'll post the results.

• Members

you see, hypothetically, that is what I would expect.

I have no scientific basis to prove anything...All I can tell you is that I played 5s all through the 90s...I was playing a LOT of country to work back in those days and a 5-String was a pre-requisite...I bought my G&L ASAT 4-String at the same time that I purchased a G&L L-2500 5-String ( I had other 5s back then too).... To me, the strings on the 5s I owned had a looser "response" of any 4-String I ever played - and their characteristics were different: the "E" string on a 5 now responds like an "A"-String on a 4, and the low "B" was just too damn big to respond like an "E-String" on a 4-banger...

To me, its very noticable with slap bass --------slap bass on a 5 doesnt compare to slap bass on a 4-String

Im not saying they sounded bad - thats not true at all - the L-2500 sounded great but it was a LOT darker and slighly less punchy than my ASAT, and the strings on all my 5s responded more "rubber-like" than any 4 Ive owned...

I still own the ASAT and its my main bass...The L-2500 was gone before the turn of the century.........

• Members

I have noticed that there are no 5-string Jazz Basses that sound like Jazz Basses to my ears. Just the other day I was in a local Guitar Center. They had two 4-string Marcus Miller Jazzes and two 5-string Marcus Miller Jazzes. All fresh from the factory with new strings and everything (all delivered the previous day). The 4-strings had that classic Jazz Bass snap; that mid-range bump you expect with a good Jazz Bass. Neither of the 5'ers had those honky mids. Overall, the 5'ers sounded "darker" and more even in tone...which isn't really what you look for in a Jazz Bass!

I have experienced the same thing with other 5-string Jazzes (Fender, Lakland, Atelier Z, etc.). The difference is even more noticeable on the passive 5'ers. I've never played a Sadowsky. I hear their 5'ers are supposed to sound pretty good. But then again, I don't really go for the "modern Jazz Bass" tone with scooped mids.

Emre

Archived