OT: Bonds indicted

ivanthetrble

• Members

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/11/15/bonds.indictment.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Barry Bonds was indicted Thursday on perjury and obstruction of justice charges, culminating a four-year federal investigation into whether he lied under oath to a grand jury looking into steroid use by elite athletes.

The indictment came three months after the 43-year-old Bonds passed Hank Aaron to become baseball's career home run leader. Bonds parted ways with the San Francisco Giants after the season.

While Bonds was chasing Aaron, a grand jury was working behind closed doors to put the finishing touches on the long-rumored indictment.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Barry Bonds was indicted Thursday on perjury and obstruction of justice charges, culminating a four-year federal investigation into whether he lied under oath to a grand jury...

I also heard he got a postcard from Bill Clinton telling him..."don't sweat it bro, they won't do jack". :cop:

• Members

I'm pissed at the DOJ for spending millions upon millions of taxpayer dollars going after a guy who hits a baseball for cheating. For {censored}s sake, there are murderers and rapists and terrorists and pedophiles and international drug cartels and gun smugglers and kidnappers and {censored} out there. Can we please focus on the big picture?

• Members

Bonds' indictment seems quite well-deserved. Comparisons to Clinton are childish and lame, and besides, Dubya's lied far more than Clinton ever did.

You're right. The commander in chief should have the bar set jest a wee bit higher than a baseball player. Way to get a shot in at Bush though. ;) I won't even ask you how you know one politician lied more than another. That's kinda like asking 2 hookers who's given more blowjobs.

• Members

I'm pissed at the DOJ for spending millions upon millions of taxpayer dollars going after a guy who hits a baseball for cheating. For {censored}s sake, there are murderers and rapists and terrorists and pedophiles and international drug cartels and gun smugglers and kidnappers and {censored} out there. Can we please focus on the big picture?

+1

"The government's not going after Osama Bin Laden; they're going after Barry Bonds!"

- Chris Rock

• Members

Nothing. I don't think he's gonna play any more anyway. He left the Giants, and I don't think anyone will offer him the kind of money he wants.

Regardless of whether he's still playing or not (I don't think he's done yet, btw), MLB can't stay silent if he's convicted. They'll have to dole out some sort of punishment.

These crimes are quite serious and baseball-related. I'm wondering if a lifetime ban is likely.

• Members

Regardless of whether he's still playing or not (I don't think he's done yet, btw), MLB can't stay silent if he's convicted. They'll have to dole out some sort of punishment.

These crimes are quite serious and baseball-related. I'm wondering if a lifetime ban is likely.

And, in pro sports, "lifetime" means what....about half a season? How did times was the Yankees pitcher banned for life...and still played?

• Members

Nothing. I don't think he's gonna play any more anyway. He left the Giants, and I don't think anyone will offer him the kind of money he wants.

All the talk around here for the last few years is that the DOJ would wait until Bonds hung up the cleats before dragging him back into court.

• Moderators

The reason they went after him with our money is he lied to the grand jury and EVERYONE knows it. If it is allowed without retribution than people won't think twice about lying when it is their turn. This is a (near worthless) attempt to dissuade people from that action in the future. The good side benefit is a real honest to goodness asshole (Bonds) should go down hard on this one.

• Members

Thank you.

:deadhorse:

• Members

If he's convicted of what, steroid use or lying under oath? If the former, then MLB has to go much, much deeper than just Bonds.

• Members

I was sick of this yesterday. I wanted to hear some NCAA FB talk, but they had this crap right up until the 8:00 kickoff.

If they're indicting him, the trainer they "conveniently" released from prison rolled. That was the only reason Bonds got away (to this point), whereas Marion's trainers rolled on her when squeezed.

In other news, The Juice is going to trial!! :D

His quote was priceless-

"As always, I rely on the jury system." Outstanding. :thu:

Archived