Bass Distortion

Awake77

• Members

I'm building a small pedalboard that can serve double duty as the front end to both my bass and guitar rig (I thinK I mentioned that in another post:)), and Im looking to add a distortion unit that will sound great with either instrument.

Ive been reading about the Fulltone Bassdrive and the EBS Valvedrive, but I heard a clip of the TC Electronic Classic Bass Distortion:

(the 'video demo' link)

http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=SCvZrwAA1196318038&command=link--tcevbd

and I like the way the distortion sounds when its blended with the clean signal - kind of similar to Peter Steele's overdriven tone which Ive always been a fan of.

I really like the sound of the MI Audio TubeZone on guitar - has anyone tried combining an overdrive/distortion with something like the Xotic X-Blender or the Barge Concepts VFB-2 on the bass? Do you think it would work, or be a heinous waste of money? ;D

Thanks,

A77

• Members

Of the pedals you listed, the EBS is the best choice IMO. I A/B'd it with the Fulltone. The Bassdrive is a nice pedal, but it did lose some low end for me, which is a big no no unless I want that sound. The EBS is a killer pedal. Try them out if you can and see for yourself.

I would also look into a Colorsound Tone Bender and the B:ASSMASTER mentioned above.

I've never played any of them with a guitar, so I can't comment on how they sound.

Right now I am using a Sans Amp GT2 with a blender pedal. It sounds great on bass, but only with the blend...it loses too much low end on it's own. I used to use it on guitar and it was one of the best distortion pedals I owned.

• Members

LOL - Metal Zone :D I think I had a HyperMetal when i first started playing guitar and it sounded like a swarm if bees, literally.

Of the pedals you listed, the EBS is the best choice IMO. I A/B'd it with the Fulltone. The Bassdrive is a nice pedal, but it did lose some low end for me, which is a big no no unless I want that sound. The EBS is a killer pedal. Try them out if you can and see for yourself.

I would also look into a Colorsound Tone Bender and the B:ASSMASTER mentioned above.

I've never played any of them with a guitar, so I can't comment on how they sound.

Right now I am using a Sans Amp GT2 with a blender pedal. It sounds great on bass, but only with the blend...it loses too much low end on it's own. I used to use it on guitar and it was one of the best distortion pedals I owned.

I like the idea of using a blender pedal with a good overdrive - I like the way that sounds. Although a fully distorted sound would be cool , with the right pedal.

GuitarGod, what did you prefer the sound of the EBS Valvedrive or your clean tone blended with the Tech21?

• Members

I really like the MXR blowtorch, and ive heard it works really well with guitar as well. Very versitile pedal, that being said it has kinda its own vibe thats hard to cop. I have 4 "distortion" pedals on my board. Some are fuzz's and the blowtorch is somewhere between a fuzz and a distortion.

• Members

wait. there's a big difference between an overdrive and a distortion.... which one do you want?

Overdrive - for my guitar rig I get all the distortion I need from my head. A quality overdrive would be like adding a 4th channel.

I really like the reviews Ive been reading of the EBS Valvedrive - anyone have any audio clips?

• Members

Overdrive - for my guitar rig I get all the distortion I need from my head. A quality overdrive would be like adding a 4th channel.

I really like the reviews Ive been reading of the EBS Valvedrive - anyone have any audio clips?

go for EBS or (the best i've heard so far) Fulltone Bassdrive :wave:

• Members

Doesnt Pete Steele also run a dual amp setup, so the clean tone and distorted tone play together? That's what it sounds like, anyway...

A friend was telling me modded BadMonkey might do the trick as well..

you can run two amps, one clean and one distorted...

if you want a Bad Monkey moded, talk to Guttermouth, he's the man :wave:

Archived