Just bought my first bass...

reflexbc

• Members

Here's my story:

I've been playing drums for about 30+ years, but one of the things that sucks about being a drummer (if you can't write songs) is that, well, you can't write songs.

So, I started getting into keyboards and MIDI and stuff, and then my cousin sold me a guitar...

My plan was to learn keyboards, guitar and bass so that I could use music software to record my own stuff...

I've done pretty well, my keys and guitar chops aren't bad... but the big step was to get into bass.

So what I did was a textbook example of how you should NOT buy equipment, but I did OK (did great actually...)

I went down to my local GC, and basically pointed to a bass on the wall, and said "I want that one."

No research, no nothing. But it's a Fender, and although I didn't want to pay a lot, I wasn't going to stoop as low as getting a Squier (sorry to you Squier fans out there...)

I paid $400.00 for what I thought was a Standard Jazz bass. Actually, what it was was better; it's a Deluxe Active Jazz 4-string in Candy Apple red :cool:

those usually go for like $599.99 (i.e. 600), but it had these tiny flaws in the finish that I can totally live with.

Anyhow, now I am officially a bass-playing person.

The first thing I thought was "These strings are frickin' HUGE..." and like "How am I going to stretch my fretting fingers wide enough..." But now I'm diggin' it...

Anyway, enough about ME... ;)

• Members

Answers to questions:

Bassman - right now, my "rig" as it stands (e.g. what I'm playing through) is the Bassman channel of my Super-Sonic guitar amp (at very quiet, conversational levels). It sounds quite good, actually. This situation is slightly complicated by the fact that my Super-Sonic suddenly picked this moment to blow up (making extremely loud ugly sounds when I turn it on - I really believe this is not because of me playing bass through it a super-quiet levels) :cry: I also have a Peavey basss amp in my attic which I initially bought as an electronic drum amp and then never used - I'm ashamed to say I don't even know which model it is. It's solid state and huge, but has like a gazillion bands of eq on it. I'm going to have to haul it down and find space for it in my bedroom. Right now, I'm playing through my Marshall DSL-401 guitar amp until I get off my butt and haul that amp downstairs. At super quiet levels as before, I haven't had any probelms. I am thinking of getting an Ampeg BA-115T bass amp - looks sweet for the price. I'm also using a box called Liquid Blues by Damage Control - it's a tube overdrive box - again guitar gear, but works sweet w/ the gain on low, and it also has an opto-compressor built in (great value for $200).

Willsellout: I think bass-playing is AWESOME! I've always been kind of jealous of people who can play bass (well). We drummers get the same kind of crap - "you're not REAL musicians..." Well, I think that to play drums well is probably one of the hardest things to do in music, and a crappy drummer will make your band sound bad real fast.. Same thing w/ bass, although a lot of non-musicians may not even know they're hearing it...

DigitalPimp: Pics are coming...

Thanks everone for welcoming me, I'll let you know how things go.

• Members

People are always surprised when they ask me instruments I play. I say "Bass". I don't know why but people seem to think Bass players are failed musicians or something..I just love playing bass, is that so wrong?

Dan

No one has ever acted surprised when I say I play bass. I'm told I have a bassist's personality.

Also, welcome to the forum :wave:

• Members

I took some pictures of my axe, and they're on my hard drive - is there any way to load them on this forum from there, 'cause the only option I'm getting is off of the internet (it asks for a url).

Signed, Clueless

P.S: Thumper - I did actually consider the Modified Vintage - although not a fretless like the one you have there (not quite ready for that yet...) - didn't know if they were good. I know that some of the less expensive Fenders are actually not bad, on the guitar side of the spectrum, so I suppose I shouldn't rip on the Squier's, but I think that the one I got is kind of in between the Squier/Standard quality range and the American made basses. I think it sounds really good to me (even thru a guitar amp! :))

• Members

People are always surprised when they ask me instruments I play. I say "Bass". I don't know why but people seem to think Bass players are failed musicians or something..I just love playing bass, is that so wrong?

Dan

nuts to those people..

i got talking to a guy at work, who it turns out was a guitard.

i mentioned that i play bass, to which he commented on how much easier than guitar bass is..

to which i said, "spouting {censored} like that could get you punched right in the mouth some places"..

he never spoke to me again. then quit. but im sure that unrelated.

when i took up bass all those years ago, my old man asked why not guitar. i didnt have an answer.

but back on topic, reflexbc, welcome to the land of fat strings.

Archived