Combo for gigs and rehearsals - opinions and ideas wanted!

Mytola

• Members

Now that I've decided to get rid of my Attitude, I am looking for a powerful and punchy combo. I had my mind set on a Markbass CMD 102P, but I still think it is best to check out some other stuff as well, and to hear other peoples opinions about this. I play mostly metal, and need enough power and punch to hear myself on a pretty loud stage. A tilt-back design would be nice, but not required.

The combos I've been considering now are:

Markbass CMD 102P

- Lightweight and tiltable. I like the tone. A bit more expensive though.

GK 700RB-II/210

- I have absolutely no idea how this one is. Cheaper than the markbass, but heavier. Will be hard to get one to try out, unfortunately.

Trace Elliot 715X

- I have not tried this particular one, and I am a bit worried about how a single 15" will match up to 2x10" instead, but the Trace stuff I have tried has been really impressive. As with the GK, this thing is hard to find and try locally.

Any thoughts? How do you think the 15" trace would match up to a 2x10"? More suggestions in about the same price range as these would be nice as well, the ability to plug in an extension cab is important to me. If you think a separate head/cab setup will work better, please suggest something there as well. I want something which is decently portable. Buying used is not a good option, as the used market for amps here is, well... only Ampegs, pretty much.

• Members

Personally, I would go with a head/cab over a combo. I think they are a little more portable depending on the size of your cabs, and they are scalable too.

For metal, I would recommend GK, Mesa, and Aggie...but that's because I own them. I also had a MB LMII, but I didn't think it worked so well for metal. It sounded great, just not quite what I was going for.

I'm also not a fan MB cabs, so that's another reason I would go for a head/cab.

I would go through whatever you have to in order to try the stuff out though. What sounds good to us might sound like balls to you. I've never tried any Trace stuff, so I can't comment on that.

What kind of sound are you going for? Just describe it as best that you can...

• Members

Hmm, how to describe the sound I want... Well, if you check the myspace-link in my sig, I like something which could sound similar to that. I also have a EBS MicroBass II and a EBS Multidrive, so I have quite a bit of tone-shaping stuff I can put before my amp. Agressive and ballsy, basically. I want to be able to hear myself well, and I really like the design with the tilt-back stuff on the GK and Markbass combos. Stage monitors are usually a bit weak and not too punchy, so something I can have tilted in front of me as a monitor would be nice.

If any of you have tried the GK and the Markbass-stuff, how would you describe the differences between them?

• Members

If any of you have tried the GK and the Markbass-stuff, how would you describe the differences between them?

I haven't tried the same combos you mention, but I have certainly had my share of time with a GK and a LMII. Both using the same cabs and basses...so the only change was the head.

GK: Agressive, loud, punchy, not sterile if you know how to tweak, great rock/metal tone...

MB: Loud, punchy, cleaner than GK, warm...

Both have a great tone, I just think the major difference is the warmth. The MB has more of it, but I think that the GK cuts through the mix better because of that. The MB sits in the mix very well though...

• Members

Any suggestions on a top/cab combination?

Well...a MB LMII or a GK 1001 RB-II would be the obvious choice for a head. As far as a cab, what is available over there? I'm sure there is something that will work well for you. If you've got your heart set on something, that's a different story though.

I also don't want to push/pressure you into buying something you don't want, so if you want a combo...go for it! Just get all of your info first so you can make a good decision...which I assume is exactly what you're doing right now! :thu:

• Members

Drop the attitude, young man :mad:

edit -- and of those choices, I personally like the GK best. The Elliot isn't bad either, but the mark bass I don't like at all. I wouldn't think it'd be what you're looking for either, I'm surprised you liked it.

• Members

Drop the attitude, young man
:mad:

edit -- and of those choices, I personally like the GK best. The Elliot isn't bad either, but the mark bass I don't like at all. I wouldn't think it'd be what you're looking for either, I'm surprised you liked it.

Could you elaborate on what you didn't like about the Markbass?

Archived