preamp tube selections

Bluescout

• Members

I have EH 12ax7 preamp tubes in my Classic 400. I'm wondering what everyone is using for preamps and why. I think a Tung Sol may have more gain, giving me a bit more grind. Also, does anyone know of anyone modding these amps at all?

The EH 12AX7s are pretty hot and I'd be surprised if the Tung Sol was hotter.

• Members

In just about every pre-amp tube shootout I've seen in the last seven years claims the EH is the best overall tube. EH's are built in a brand new (1999) fascility. The US accidently bombed the old factory and replaced it with new stuff for them. Nice, huh? This is the same factory that supplies(ed Russia with all their tubes for the radios they carry in their nuke bombers. Good ole hollow tube technology in radios works better than SS in a nuclear blast allowing them to preserve radio contact with the ground. Boy, I sure feel safer knowing that. This little tidbit was discovered when that Rooski pilot defected to Japan in a Mig 21 some years back. So, use whatever suits you but I would stay clear of the chinese golden dragon 12ax7 in a bass amp. It has too much fizzy gain and is noted to be the least hi-fi of the bunch.

• Moderators
I have a tube in the Neo pack:D. I wonder if I changed tubes to something different if it would make a noticeable difference...

Dan

I could see it making more of a difference if you changed out to a 12AU7 or 12AT7. You might hear a slight difference with brand change. As noted earlier a cheap chinese tube might add fizziness instead of grittiness.

• Members

i think your best option is to sell me that classic 400!

I would be happy to!!!

For ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!! mmmwwwWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

drevil.jpg

Edit: I don't think I could sell it! It's heavy as hell but it's the only thing I could find that was loud enough for me!!!

• Members

Different preamp tubbes, and even different versions of a 12ax7 can make a significant diffrence in your tone.

when I had my all tube Trace amps I went through a LOT of different preamp tubes to find what worked best for me. (It's all in the ear of the beholder).

GT Golds work pretty good

EI 12ax7 elites worked great.

JJ Tesla works well too.

Telefunken ECC83's are probably the absolute best out there but they go from about $50 up to almost $200 per tube. Very expensive as I believe they have been out of production for quite a while and finding new ones is like finding a needle in a haystack.

You really need to decide if you are trying to push more clenan tone or have your preamp break up earlier. Do some reading on the different tubes and trial and error warks really well too. ;) Let your ears be the judge.

Archived