Short scale bass recomendation for a guitar player?

RoboCop00

• Members

I'm a guitar player who wants to buy a bass to learn and play around with (I have to admit, I love bass). Anyways, I have $200-300 to spend here, and was looking for an entry-mid level short-scale bass. The reason for the short scale is that I have small hands and I also like the sound of a trebly, plinky sounding bass (thinking McCartney Rickenbacker here).

Anyone have recomendations?

• Members

for getting a short-scale bass with that sound you'd have to spend more money then that...
i think your best option (as far as short scales go) to come close to that sound would be a used Danelectro Longhorn, with some amp distortion, for that trebly grindy sound you want...

but check this website out, i think these are your best options for the price:

www.rondomusic.com

• Members
I'm a guitar player who wants to buy a bass to learn and play around with (I have to admit, I love bass). Anyways, I have $200-300 to spend here, and was looking for an entry-mid level short-scale bass. The reason for the short scale is that I have small hands and I also like the sound of a trebly, plinky sounding bass (thinking McCartney Rickenbacker here).

Wanna buy this shortscale after it's pimped out???
I'm finishing the battery compartment today.

mangobass007.jpg

• Members
Bro Mango's bass is an Ibanez. I don't really know about King's X, not a fan.

You're probably thinking about the Yamaha BB's, this doesn't really look anything like those, the only similarity is that its double cut.
:freak:

no, forget it... i was just saying that Ibanez looks almost exacly like that Yamaha, even the single pickup in the same place and all... but the Yamaha has more of a Les Paul shape...

• Members

It was cruel to offer my bass for sale ... I was just being silly. Not many bassists wanna fool around with a whammy bar. My apologies. GEEZ! I don't know what this thing would be worth. But it might not be worth diddly because it's so modified. Any way ...

I wonder about your reasons for wanting a shortscale. There are plenty of full-scale basses that have thin necks. My Alembic Epic has a comfortable, thin neck. (I wouldn't be surprised if there's a shortscale bass somewhere that has a chunky Music Man sort of neck).

And the sound you're looking for can be found in all sorts of ways--be it via your amp settings, onboard bass EQ, or through modifications of the pick-ups and/or preamp.

Bottom line: based on what you describe, it doesn't sound like you need to limit yourself to searching for a shortscale bass.

Lots of new bassists ask for advice, but the best answer is: go out and feel & listen to a lot of basses. Get the one that works for you. We can warn you about overpriced or crappy basses. We can help you with the "how-to" of shopping for a bass, and that's about it.

Again. From what you described, it doesn't sound like you should restrict yourself to shortscales.

• Members

McCartney eh? Try one of these on for size:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-VB100-Series-II-Violin-Bass-?sku=512224

I enjoyed the one I played.

FYI: don't restrict yourself to short scale. I'm 5'6 with very small hands, and I play full size with thick, beefy necks. Try a Precision while your at it.

• Members
McCartney eh? Try one of these on for size:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-VB100-Series-II-Violin-Bass-?sku=512224

I enjoyed the one I played.

^ Rogue VB-100 (Beatle) bass^

:thu: From my experience that's a nice bass for the money, plays decently, good sound and feel, and she has the vibe. Got a Rogue hardshell case for security. I've just put some half-round strings on and like them better than flats on this bass.

Have read/heard about quality issues on those, but most reviews are pretty good; Send it back if it isn't right.

• Members

i will say pay a bit more and find a good one.
the gretsch one is very good, i have a friend that plays one in a bass. works pretty well and it looks pretty cool actually.
the mustang reissues are great.
i will say go to a store and try a bunch. you also have epiphone viola basses. i tried one and i didn't liked it. the neck was weird.
i own a univox hi-flyer bass. paid 100 bucks for it. the neck is great. it's in the tech now tough..

Archived