2007 HCBF Awards

groutt

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's hillarious coming from you, the self proclaimed HCBF fixture.
:D

The difference is that my opinion of myself in that case is accurate. I can back up that claim.

In saying that someone is "being stupid" and "an attention starved child", you are engaging in behavior that a moderator should avoid at all costs. Especially in this situation. You can think it all day and most folks probably would have said it for you, but once you put on that badge, you have to abide by the rules completely.

If you're going to play the stickler for policy, don't be surprised when people hold you to a higher standard.

• Members

The difference is that my opinion of myself in that case is accurate. I can back up that claim.

In saying that someone is "being stupid" and "an attention starved child", you are engaging in behavior that a moderator should avoid at all costs. Especially in this situation. You can think it all day and most folks probably would have said it for you, but once you put on that badge, you have to abide by the rules completely.

If you're going to play the stickler for policy, don't be surprised when people hold you to a higher standard.

I

• Members
The "higher standard" thing is always funny to here though.

Why is it funny to hear (I'm assuming you meant 'hear', not 'here')? :confused:

When a moderator flames someone in the performance of their duties, that's an issue. When a moderator acts in a way that violates the explicit rules they're supposed to be enforcing (even if the violation is minor), that's an issue.

When the person breaks rules in the process of enforcing them, it's a bit of a contradiction...

Folks in authority (which is what you are, no matter how trivial you or anyone else considers the authority) are held to a higher standard, period. It's true in any situation. I don't see why you think it's funny...

• CMS Author

Folks in authority (which is what you are, no matter how trivial you or anyone else considers the authority) are held to a higher standard, period. It's true in any situation. I don't see why you think it's funny...

Maybe not funny in the literal sense, but it sure is ironic to see people push or break the rules, push back against enforcement, then expect others to abide an implied "higher standard". I see this pretty much all the time, in every forum, and it follows such a predictable course I could write a book on it.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what the beef is here, so this comment has nothing to do with anyone specific. YMMV. Closed course, professional driver. Do not attempt. Batteries not included.

• Members

I think everyone will agree that this is a no win situation for everyone involved DS was wrong although he did have a valid point in the beginnig and I thought phish was a little quick with the hook but thats JMO. so lets get back to IMPORTENT stuff like who got a little new year nookie ,I'm married so obviously I didn't:cry:

• Members

Maybe not funny in the literal sense, but it sure is ironic to see people push or break the rules, push back against enforcement, then expect others to abide an implied "higher standard". I see this pretty much all the time, in every forum, and it follows such a predictable course I could write a book on it.

But it's not the same context. A forumite isn't responsible for the upholding of the rules.

To be clear, I don't think that Catphish made it personal, and I don't think he was in the wrong. But I do understand how it can appear that way, and I think the fact he said the "higher standard" idea was "funny" is something of an issue.

When moderators call people names it's a problem. It was a problem when TBroom did it with Oldivor. It was a problem when Jazzy did it with multiple people. It's a problem when Catphish did it with DS.

When the application of power appears to be personal rather than 'professional', when it appears arbitrary rather than objective, it undermines authority.

The appearance of impropriety is just as damaging as actual impropriety. (as is obvious from the criticism he's receiving currently).

From what I know of the situation (which is definitely not everything), I don't think Catphish did anything wrong. But I do think he and the other mods are most definitely to be held to a higher standard, because authorities should always be held to a higher standard.

Archived