5 stringers! Whats your favorite string size & brand?

A*X*7

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From what I have read.....

The Nickel plated strings seem to be the best go between pure nickel and Stainless steel...

Anyone feel different???

But does the Nickel plated last as long as the Stainless??

• Moderators

But does the Nickel plated last as long as the Stainless??

In my experience steel strings start brighter, but lose that brightness fairly quickly. Nickel start mellower, but the difference between new and old nickel is less dramatic that the difference between new and old stainless.

• Members
The only bassists that use them are the ones that hate good tone. :poke:

Haha, You are about half-right there.

Back in my formative days (heck, I'm so old that I play with my thump) flats were the only thing you could get. They were meant more or LESS to simulate the "wolly" sound and short sustain of URBs, which was the sound you were looking for, bass-guitars being a novelty. That changed later, of course, but there were a few oohs and aahs, when a maker (can't remember which) announced that their new bass was made specially for roundwounds. (When the rounds began to sound like flats, we used to boil them).

If my memory serves me well, which it seldom does, Jamie Jamerson used flat LaBellas, thick as a thigh, which may be why the neck of his P was bend like a banana. You don't often hear complaints about his sound.

Furthermore flats seem to trigger an octaver more evenly.

• Members

Awesome 6'er size there... .30 -.125

Does it go .30 .50 .70 .90 .110 .125 ?

Those sound a little thick for that kind of set. You're basically describing a medium C, a heavy 4 string set, and back to a medium low B.

Just a guess, but I think it would be more like:

.30 .45 .65 .85 .105 .125

Archived