5 stringers! Whats your favorite string size & brand?

A*X*7

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You should try some DR stainless strings. I've played the Pro Steels before, and they were murder on the fingers. I'm not sure how they sell those things! The DR's are nothing like them in terms of feel. They are not rough in the least.

Yeah I tried some Hi Beams on my old Ibanez, they went pretty good. I just gotta admit I love the raw attack of these Pro Steels, they have this growl that i love. Plus over here they're nearly half the price of a set of Hi Beams. I'll just have to see how long these ones last before they die (and if they age gracefully...) and I'll try some Hi Beams next time around

• Members

Yeah I tried some Hi Beams on my old Ibanez, they went pretty good. I just gotta admit I love the raw attack of these Pro Steels, they have this growl that i love. Plus over here they're nearly half the price of a set of Hi Beams. I'll just have to see how long these ones last before they die (and if they age gracefully...) and I'll try some Hi Beams next time around

If it's growl you're looking for, try the SS lo-riders.

• Members

I could try these, I just hope they really do out last the non coated ones.

They do...but they always have a nice dead tone to them...for 6 months straight! If you're looking for a growly sound, you're not going to get it with Elixir strings...I promise.

I had a set on my Modulus for about 6-8 months. They felt great and sounded ok...but they always sounded the same. Then I switched them for EB, and it was night and day. Much more zing right off the bat, but the EB's didn't last long enough. Then I went to the DR's. Immediately I noticed a much growlier tone coming from the Modulus...which isn't a growly bass to begin with.

Some guys don't realize just how much strings play a roll in their tone.

• Members

i use DR marcus miller signature strings on both my stingray 5 and stingray 4. i use the 45-125 and 45-105 set. musicians friend had a special on them. two packs of DR marcus miller 45-125 and a marcus miller 2-dvd set for like $54.95 i believe it was. bought them and changed them out on both rays. saved the odd 125 b string for later. great strings. all i have played for the last five years. prolly have at least 20 or more packs of used strings. what can i use them for?

• Members

i use DR marcus miller signature strings on both my stingray 5 and stingray 4. i use the 45-125 and 45-105 set. musicians friend had a special on them. two packs of DR marcus miller 45-125 and a marcus miller 2-dvd set for like $54.95 i believe it was. bought them and changed them out on both rays. saved the odd 125 b string for later. great strings. all i have played for the last five years. prolly have at least 20 or more packs of used strings. what can i use them for?

Somewhere I saw a thread to send used strings....not sure what it was called but do a thread search, maybe it will show up. Oh and keep a couple spares for yourself.....just in case.

• Moderators

And does the low B string at .115 get too floppy?

Look at the tension numbers and find out. Most manufacturers include that information on the pack of strings itself, as well as their websites.

If you have 50+ lbs on your D-string and

• Members
i play an ibanez gary willis 5....it's the only fiver i have.

my strings are custom strings made for gary by ghs

.45 .65 .85 .105 .135

:D
:D:D

+1. When Gary had these available on his Web site (I don't think he does anymore, believe he endorses d'addario now), I got a couple of sets for really cheap; exchanged a couple of e-mails with Gary, and he couldn't have been more helpful. Great strings, and I normally don't care for GHS.

• Members

OH.... so I should buy individual strings to get the [sizes] that I want!
Do all the brands sell individual strings to make my custom set???
Does DR sell individual strings to make my custom set??? and if so where to find??

• Members

I've been quite satisfied for the past 2 years with Dean Markley SR2000 stainless tapers on my 'Ray 5.

I had been breaking my Dean Markley nickelsteels... `I sent an email to em, and they sent me a few packs of Bluesteels and SR2000's. I've used them ever since.

• Members
Hard-Rockin' Steels

.040-.128

Best low B string I've heard.

Those are the only string set that works on my Carvin, because of the tapered B string. That bass' bridge is mounted too close and the B saddle has to be puled in so far, full wrapped strings can't make the bend but the tapered B can. Stupid Carvin!:mad: Anyway the LaBella's are the only tapered string where the taper is short enough that it doesn't extend way out past the bridge saddle and cause chorusing and bad harmonics. I don't really like their rough feel though, but you take the good with the bad.:cool:

• Members

Does "DR" sell individual strings to make my custom set???

Certain places will. What gauges do you want? I'm sure they make a set that will work for you. Even if you have to get a 4 string set and then add the low B individually. Single strings get expensive & can be a pain in the ass to get...a low B is like $14.

http://www.juststrings.com/drstringsbassguitarsinglestrings.html

If you're hell bent on doing it this way...just strings is a decent place.

Archived