OT: The Wussy-fication of America...

chubrocker

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Actually, human foetuses in their youngest forms look surprisingly like turtles, goldfish and such in their youngest form, but they grow into more distinctly human form later on
;)

Never argued that fact my friend, but that doesn't make them a turtle, goldfish, etc.. Unless the woman is like some sort of mutant... :freak:

• Members

Since abortion, the crime rate is down.

If you're angry and raise an unwanted child, he's going to hurt someone someday.

Put more money into education, less into prisons. Oh, and let out all them fools on drug charges. That's just silly. wasting prison space just because they're getting stoned... sheesh.

Ok back to my 3 Barley wine lunch...

• Members

I don't know the date of the "transformation", although there are probably doctors that do; it's their job, not mine. But my argument doesn't rest on that point being known absolutely at this time; I am saying that before that point, there is no awareness, no sentience and therefore no ethical stumbling block.

And how exactly do you know this?

Isn't it more rational to assume that there is life and sentience however to eliminate the ethical stumbling block we deny that? If it's a "human" at week 24, what was it at week 23? or 22? No one can say when a fetus becomes sentient. No one. Because they have absolutely no way of knowing that.

Now, personally, I don't think that the government should have anything to do with abortion one way or the other. I disagree with it on a moral basis, but that is MY moral determination and I do not have the right to impose that morality on others.

However denying that that life growing in a womans womb is nothing more than self-deception to assuge the guilt of knowing that a human life was just ended, Nothing more, nothing less. It's trying (and very unsuccessfully in most cases) to rationalize taking a life.

Otherwise they wouldnt' offer counseling after the procedure now would they? Do they offer counseling after a wart removal? I think not.

I am pro life. not for moral reasons, but for legal reasons. I am pro-death penalty for a gazillion reasons. And I have no moral dilemmna with it.

• Members

And how exactly do you know this?

Isn't it more rational to assume that there is life and sentience however to eliminate the ethical stumbling block we deny that? If it's a "human" at week 24, what was it at week 23? or 22? No one can say when a fetus becomes sentient. No one. Because they have absolutely no way of knowing that.

Now, personally, I don't think that the government should have anything to do with abortion one way or the other. I disagree with it on a moral basis, but that is MY moral determination and I do not have the right to impose that morality on others.

However denying that that life growing in a womans womb is nothing more than self-deception to assuge the guilt of knowing that a human life was just ended, Nothing more, nothing less. It's trying (and very unsuccessfully in most cases) to rationalize taking a life.

Otherwise they wouldnt' offer counseling after the procedure now would they? Do they offer counseling after a wart removal? I think not.

I am pro life. not for moral reasons, but for legal reasons. I am pro-death penalty for a gazillion reasons. And I have no moral dilemmna with it.

A 4-cell embryo cannot feel, right? A 37-week foetus can feel, right? Then somewhere between the two there must be a point where a change occurs, where there is sufficient brain stem/nervous system development to enable sentience.

If you can argue with that, I'd love to hear it.

• Members

Have you ever noticed that so many christians and conservatives say, "thou shall not kill", but they are for the death penalty?

That's a contradiction I could never understand - and VERY common amongst pro-life types....

Capital punishment - when warranted - is not prohibited by the bible... Of course, the liberal mind resists the concept of people being held accountable for their actions...

- georgestrings

• Members
The term "pro-abortion" is VERY common amongst "anti-choice" types.
;)

If by that you mean "pro-life" when you say "anti-choice", then I agree...

Why is it that you feel an unborn child has no right to live, yet some lowlife that is proven without a shadow of a doubt of committing the most heineous of crimes still deserves to live???

- georgestrings

• Members

If by that you mean "pro-life" when you say "anti-choice", then I agree...

Why is it that you feel an unborn child has no right to live, yet some lowlife that is proven without a shadow of a doubt of committing the most heineous of crimes still deserves to live???

- georgestrings

Personally, I just like criminals more than fetuses. Fetuses are gross. {censored} em.

• Members

Capital punishment - when warranted - is not prohibited by the bible... Of course, the liberal mind resists the concept of people being held accountable for their actions...

The bible is for wussies (all that "turn the other cheek", "the meek shall inherit the earth", and helping out those that are less fortunate nonsense).............and Jesus was a liberal.

• Members

A 4-cell embryo cannot feel, right? A 37-week foetus can feel, right?

How do you know? Where do you draw the line? when is it a life and not an embryo?

That's the question isn't it? If you can't definitively tell me exactly, to the second, when it is a human being and no longer just a mass of cells (which we all are btw), if you can't tell me the exact moment it becomes sentient, then I would say err on the side of the life that we know is there and not kill it.

If you can argue with that, I would love to hear it.

In addition, just because you can't prove it's sentient doesn't mean it doesn't have a life force or soul. Considering you can't quantify that or prove or disprove the existence of that life force or sould or sentient prescence or whatever you want to call it, you know it's there. You can feel it in yourself but there is no physical evidence of it whatsoever. How do you know it's any different in a 4 week old unborn child?

If you can argue with that, I would love to hear it.

• Members
...and Jesus was a liberal.

Most liberals feel as though they're being persecuted, so it stands to reason why liberals think he's one of them.

Liberals also consider themselves to be the "kind" and "giving" side of the political spectrum, but somehow I think Jesus would have been against taking what someone had worked very hard for, and giving it to people that weren't willing to work as hard as that man. Remember that one of the commandments is "thou shalt not steal." Jesus wouldn't be down with forced wealth redistribution for the sake of political gain.:idea:

Whenever I see that bumper sticker I wonder when the last time the person driving the car asked Jesus for forgiveness, or if they just considered themselves so righteous that they don't need to bother.
C7

• Members
Everyone
should be killed.

:mad:

Well, now, that's equal opportunity a'knockin'. Say. . .. did you know that the hitman career field is really a growth opportunity? Loved Gross Point Blank. Fun movie.

Another thought. . .."It's a hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna have." Will Munny in Unforgiven.

• Members

A 4-cell embryo cannot feel, right? A 37-week foetus can feel, right? Then somewhere between the two there must be a point where a change occurs, where there is sufficient brain stem/nervous system development to enable sentience.

If you can argue with that, I'd love to hear it.

And no four cell embryo has ever been aborted.

By the time most women even suspect they're pregnant (usually 3 weeks or so after conception, when they notice they're "late"), much less confirm it and make the decision to abort, the fetus is a organism with a distinct brain and spinal cord. The arterial system is developing, as is the liver.

At a month and a half old (almost 90% of all abortions in the US and UK are performed between one and three months gestational age), the fetus has a fully defined nervous system, brain, heart, and pulmonary system. The kidneys are beginning to produce urine, the arms have completed primary development and the hands are starting to form. Finally, the skeleton is beginning to ossify.

At two and a half months (still within the period when the vast majority of abortions are performed), the fetus has clearly developed a human shape. It's about 2.5cm long, with most of it's organ systems having formed and currently developing. It has fingers and toes (and as you know, if you have watched Juno, fingernails as well)...It's had its nervous system for nearly 2 months now.

Point out sentience for me. I can point out where it's got a nervous system (as noted, it's quite early on), and can respond to stimuli. A rather revolting reality is that fetuses often move away from the vaccum suction used in most abortions, reacting to that (lethal) stimuli.

What is sentience? An organism "capable feeling pain and being distressed at the thought of not continuing to exist"? (that is the phrase you used)

From much of the available evidence, a fetus seems to meet that criteria rather early in its existence (well within the period when most abortions are performed).

Archived