Rules kids won't learn in school

Goofball Jones

• Members

Although I understand the sentiment, all I could think as I read the list was how dated it sounded. Car Phone, Jennifer Aniston, Kurt Cobain, etc. This clearly came from the 90's.

Excellent! Way to miss the point! :thu:

(there, put that in your signature too....and GET OFF MY LAWN!) :mad:

• Members

:rolleyes: how trite and self congratulatory :rolleyes:

"Rule #5. Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping. They called it opportunity. They weren't embarrassed making minimum wage either. They would have been embarrassed to sit around talking about Kurt Cobain all weekend."

a. your grandparents didnt leave college with 40-100 grand in debt

b. dignity? you ever try paying rent on minimum wage?

c. the beatles? elvis? glen miller? etc?

and they forgot to add "your grandparents didnt have to worry about getting shot to death in math class"

and "your grandparents werent being pumped full of dubious medications instead of parenting"

• Members

and they forgot to add "your grandparents didnt have to worry about getting shot to death in math class"

and "your grandparents werent being pumped full of dubious medications instead of parenting"

a. I don't have any student loan debt and I make more than twice the national average

b. Yes. It sucks. I saw it as motivation to make more money.

c. I really don't think the music was the point of that comment.

d. How many kids are shot in schools every year these days? My grandparents did have to worry about getting trampled by a plow horse after school.

e. My grandfather worked ridiculous hours to put food on the table.

Long story short, there's always someone to blame if you try hard enough. How about you quit crying, put down the razor and do something productive?

• Members

:rolleyes:
how trite and self congratulatory

"Rule #5. Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping. They called it opportunity. They weren't embarrassed making minimum wage either. They would have been embarrassed to sit around talking about Kurt Cobain all weekend."

a. So, if you couldn't get an outstanding job making tons of money in the field you choose in school you wouldn't work at all or what? Flipping burgers beneath you? You'd rather do nothing than make minimum wage if that's all you could get? Speaking as someone that held down two full time minimum wage jobs while going to school I have to say get off your asses. (not you personally...just "get off yer asses")

b. Yes, yes I have tried paying rent on a minimum wage job. It's called cutting out all the luxuries such as TV, cable, internet. Turning off everything in your place to get the electric bill under 10 bucks a month. Finding an apartment that pays for the gas heat (thank god).

c. the point wasn't about music, it was about sitting on your ass not trying to get ahead or surviving. Some would rather sit around and complain how unlucky they are or how the world sucks and how unfair everything is and how Fall-Out-Boy speaks to their plight. :blah: (notice I put a contemporary Emo band in there)

Also, my kid goes to school...no shootings. I lived my whole life and have never seen a major act of violence. Same with my wife. Her parents. My parents. The violence you see on TV isn't EVERYWHERE, despite what the media makes it out to be. Yes, there have been isolated incidents of shootings in schools. Does that mean you always have to be looking over your shoulders? Of course not. If there were mass shootings every month, perhaps. But come on...do you REALLY worry about that sitting in math class?

And my kid isn't pumped full of any meds. He has an aspirin once in a while...maybe once or twice a year or so.

• CMS Author

So true.

They had to worry about dieing from the flu. Or the Measles. Or Small Pox. Or being crippled by polio. Most families had at least one child who died at or shortly after birth.

They may not be shot in math class, but they'd be several times more likely to die or be crippled for life on the job.

• Members

So true.

They had to worry about dieing from the flu. Or the Measles. Or Small Pox. Or being crippled by polio. Most families had at least one child who died at or shortly after birth.

They may not be shot in math class, but they'd be several times more likely to die or be crippled for life on the job.

+1. My dad was in Germany during WWII in what would have been his college years. Then he went to Korea and Vietnam.

Talk about likelyhood of being shot!

• Members

I would add one to the list>

Yes school is boring, and pointless. Yes, they're making you do stuff that barely relates to the subject, and yes, you'd rather do something more interesting, and yeah, there's a party you wanna go to..... But Do what you must to finish school and get that degree. If you can, excel at the school thing.

Once out of college, most of what you learned won't mean diddly.......but the one thing you will learn is how to play "the game", and that is much more valuable than all the credit hours could ever be.

• Members

Seriously, one of my former "kids" got pregnant in high school, carried a typewriter (pre-laptop days) into the labor room and finished her senior high school term paper while delivering a baby. Her mom delivered the paper the next morning.

She ended up at McD's...flipping burgers. Stuck with it. Then shift manager. Then manager. Then her boss opened up a new McD's, and she opened it up and trained the staff, including the manager. He built another one and yet another one, and she opened up and ran all four of his McD's.

She earns more money that I make, even after some 30 years experience. I am proud of her. I still send her kids from time to time when she requests me to, looking for new workers.

Yes, it can be done, and it is often done.

• Members

Roger I think it's safe to say you've been pwned.

Now quit whining and get my fries.
:p

pwned my ass.

i dont have any of those problems anyway

[although in high school i DID have to worry about getting shot just for the record] when i was 18 i actually dug ditches to pay my way into college

the thing that bothers me is how every generation EVERY one thinks they ahve something to brag about. you dont. life is hard for everybody, a teenagers problems seem silly to us because we're adults, but that dosent make them any less important to the teens, so maybe we could cut them a little slack

or we could write lists about how {censored}ing great we are :rolleyes:

• Members

when i was 18 i actually dug ditches to pay my way into college

the thing that bothers me is how every generation EVERY one thinks they ahve something to brag about. you dont. life is hard for everybody, a teenagers problems seem silly to us because we're adults, but that dosent make them any less important to the teens, so maybe we could cut them a little slack

or we could write lists about how {censored}ing great we are

That's just it I think, the list on that webpage...while simplistic....isn't about how great the last generation was. It's mainly meant to tell the young-uns coming out of high school that the world doesn't revolve around them. Oh they'll find that out for themselves soon enough as I did when I got out in the real world and my parents before me etc etc. The same will go for my son as well and his kids. I suppose the list isn't really for kids anyway as they won't read it. It's really more for "preaching to the choir".

The thing is, we can make lists like that, or warnings to our kids on how it really will be out there, but it really does no good. You have to go out and experience it all for yourself. Me telling him it's going to be tough doesn't really sink into the mind of a 14 year old just yet. I know it doesn't sink in, but doesn't stop me from saying it anyway. :lol:

• Members

always give your kids a "choice" like I gave mine. Either clean up your room or get your ass beat.
:thu:

That's a great idea. And. They'll be able to use that same wisdom when they have kids. :poke:

I give my kids a choice and it works wonders. It's clean your room or all you're eating for the next week is wheat bread, raw vegetables, skim milk, and natural peanut butter. Three meals a day.

Archived