In defense of Fieldy.....

DevilRaysFan

• Members

Why do people find it necessary to bash ANY bassist?

I'm not a big Korn fan (and I refuse to capitalize the "R", lol), but at least he's doing something different. How many bassists here can say they have an instantly-identifiable sound and style?

Like it or hate it, he's way more creative than most rock bassists in the Michael Anthony mold.

• Members
^

If you think Michael Anthony is boring, you haven't been listening.
:p

Anthony brings what VH needs: a solid straight man to Eddie and Alex. Maybe the occasional fill up around the 9th fret. Oh yeah, backup vocals. :thu:

Actually, I think the fact that people start threads on bassist's forums and argue the merits of Fieldy's playing say more than I ever could in his defense.

We should all be so lucky. Maybe, if we do something on the bass that is different than what anybody else id doing, they will someday.

• Members
Anthony brings what VH needs: a solid straight man to Eddie and Alex. Maybe the occasional fill up around the 9th fret. Oh yeah, backup vocals.
:thu:

Actually, I think the fact that people start threads on bassist's forums and argue the merits of Fieldy's playing say more than I ever could in his defense.

We should all be so lucky. Maybe, if we do something on the bass that is different than what anybody else id doing, they will someday.

I didnt start this thread to debate his ability -- I started it because I keep reading jabs about his brittle bass tone. I decided to research it myself....

Now I know why..............

• Members
Why do people find it necessary to bash ANY bassist?

I'm not a big Korn fan (and I refuse to capitalize the "R", lol), but at least he's doing something different. How many bassists here can say they have an instantly-identifiable sound and style?

Like it or hate it, he's way more creative than most rock bassists in the Michael Anthony mold.

See what you did there....you asked why people bashed "ANY" bassist...then you bashed the bassists in the Michael Anthony mold.

Well played sir! :thu:

• Members

The role of the bass player varies from band to band. Traditionally, the bass plays rhythm & locks in with the drums. Other times the bass is at the forefront and steals the song. A great bass player plays what sounds good in his/her band. Fieldy sounds cuts through for Korn, Adam Clayton plays what U2 songs need, Geddy can support or he can take over a song, and someone like Jaco needs to lead the way. Personal opinions aside, they all do whats best for the song.

• Members

He can't hear you with all those platinum albums pressed up against his head. What's your signature, immediately recognizable sound, anyways?

C7

Yeah, it's hard to imagine a chump having that much success - and yet, there it is... Maybe parsons can tell us about the last sold out stadium HE played, or the last million he made???

- georgestrings

Archived