In defense of Fieldy.....

DevilRaysFan

• Members

...because he gets so much "clackity clack" {censored} on the forum, I just saw that his guitarist's play 7-strings and they seem to have what looked like 15"s in their guitar rigs... I think if I played bass in a band where theres so much bottom end coming from the guitards, I think I may be inclined to dial in an abnormal mount of hi-end for my sound as well...

Im just sayin..............

• Members

Screw allmusic.com and it's slow, animated adds. I'm looking up some stuff on Korn and the only entry they have for Fieldy is a blank page and what bands he's been in. That's it.

Hell, Wikipedia has a whole page and even a photo of the guy and his real name, what equipment he prefers etc etc.

• Members

Korn was/is more than "decently popular!" What bands do you know that are still selling out arenas and tours that came out in the early 90's (94 is when "KoRn" was released), even after losing one of their guitarists? Not many, if any. I loved the old stuff, and still pull it out from time to time, but I'm just not that angry anymore. :) The first 3 CD's are still all-time faves of mine.

And also in defense of Fieldy, he's stated from the beginning he went this way, to get more of a kick-drum type sound to be heard over the 7-string guitars (there were 2 at the time), detuned to A. YOU try and get under that and be heard! :p With massive FX and stage volume. I've seen Korn 3 or 4 times, and the stage volume for them is what most band's FOH SPL's are like!

• Members

a buddy told me over the weekend that the original band members all have left besides Fieldy and John... Is it true???? Ahh Fieldy sure is different, i fell in love with Blind and it kinda went down hill from there... Hes Ok in my book, but not someone i would like to pattern my playing style by.. Woot.

• Members

a buddy told me over the weekend that the original band members all have left besides Fieldy and John... Is it true???? Ahh Fieldy sure is different, i fell in love with Blind and it kinda went down hill from there... Hes Ok in my book, but not someone i would like to pattern my playing style by.. Woot.

I'd not heard this. On the last album's promo stuff, Dave Silvera and Munkey were still there!

• Members

IMO, he's not the greatest, but what he does seems to work very well for his band - and in the end, that's all that really matters... I like a fair amount of Korn's stuff - and think they've withstood the test of time pretty well, in that they continue to crank out tunes that people like...

- georgestrings

• Moderators
IMO, he's not the greatest, but what he does seems to work very well for his band - and in the end, that's all that really matters...

Very well stated. That's what's wrong with comparing talents of musicians, IMHO. What works in one band just isn't going to fit in another.

• Members

Very well stated. That's what's wrong with comparing talents of musicians, IMHO. What works in one band just isn't going to fit in another.

Thanks - I love the detractors that'll slam a guy like Fieldy, when odds are THEY'VE never even left the basement - pretty hilarious, IMO...

- georgestrings

• Members

Thanks - I love the detractors that'll slam a guy like Fieldy, when odds are THEY'VE never even left the basement - pretty hilarious, IMO...

- georgestrings

I'm not a huge POD fan, but Traa put it just right in a BP interview once-

"Yeah I like the fusion guys like Bailey and Jaco in Weather Report, etc.., but those guys didn't sell too many records!"

It's a never-ending swing of balance of getting your music heard and what you think is "real", versus giving people what's easy and fun to listen to, and getting mad paid for it. :) At this point, I'd take the latter!

Archived