Which cheap bass is best? Rogue,Brice,Maestro...?

A*X*7

• Members

I am more of a Guitar player, I have expesive Guitars but I need a cheap bass around to record stuff, and to use at practice so the bass player can use it.

We play mostly Rock ('70's, 80's & 90's to present) Blues and jazz.

I would like a 5'er and a 6'er, I saw the "Rogue" prices at MF it looks o.k.

On E-bay I have seen Brice, Douglas, Maestro, & no name?

Does anybody have experience with these to know what to avoid?

Brice claims it is excepted on HC?

What do you think??

• Members

I am more of a Guitar player, I have expesive Guitars but I need a cheap bass around to record stuff, and to use at practice so the bass player can use it.

We play mostly Rock ('70's, 80's & 90's to present) Blues and jazz.

I would like a 5'er and a 6'er, I saw the "Rogue" prices at MF it looks o.k.

On E-bay I have seen Brice, Douglas, Maestro, & no name?

Does anybody have experience with these to know what to avoid?

Brice claims it is excepted on HC?

What do you think??

Brice brice brice brice...

Brice. :thu:

I have people complement my 6 all the time... people seriously don't believe me when I say I only paid $215 for it. :lol:

• Members

Brice brice brice brice...

Brice.
:thu:

I have people complement my 6 all the time... people seriously don't believe me when I say I only paid $215 for it.
:lol:

+1 on Brice.

I also have an HXB-406. but my Brice Z6 is serious! The Z6 is not narrow-spaced, which is taking some getting used to, since all of my other 5ers and 6ers are.

My Douglas WPB-955 (natural fretless neckthru) is really nice too, as is my Douglas WOB-826, both of these are only active.

I also have 2 SX SJB-75 5ers, they do what they do, well worth the money. I modded mine, but not because I was dissatisfied with them stock.

Quality-wise, the progression seems to be (bottom to top) SX, Douglas, Brice but you get your money's worth with all of them.

• Members

I have 3 Rogue LX pros (4, 5 ans a 6 string) that I gig with, all 3 bass guitars sound good, have a very stable neckwith a good low action and are very reliable.

I always here a lot about you get what you pay for well with these bass guitars you get more than what you pay for.

• Members

It's a new day in the world of cheap instruments.

I have 3 Rogue LX pros (4, 5 ans a 6 string) that I gig with, all 3 bass guitars sound good, have a very stable neckwith a good low action and are very reliable.

I always here a lot about you get what you pay for well with these bass guitars you get more than what you pay for.

40 years ago, cheap instruments that you'd get from the Sears catalog (or wherever) were mostly unplayable. The necks would bow out quickly, and the sound would suck.

Today, it can still be said that cheapos are made with less attention to detail and tend to sound not quite as good as major-brand axes. But... they sound good and they are quite playable! And they will last. I now have a few high-quality basses, but I had no trouble playing on the cheapo that got me through a few years. It was a solid investment.

• Members

As I understand it, Fullerton was the "house brand" for Music123.com, and was discontinued when that company was taken over by another. Music123 clearanced out their Fullerton guitars and basses last spring and summer, selling their active basses for as little as $99 shipped, and their passive basses went as low as $29+shipping.

At this time you might find one on ebaY or such, but that's about it.

• Members

As I understand it,
Fullerton
was the "house brand" for Music123.com, and was discontinued when that company was taken over by another. Music123 clearanced out their Fullerton guitars and basses last spring and summer, selling their active basses for as little as $99 shipped, and their passive basses went as low as $29+shipping.

At this time you might find one on ebaY or such, but that's about it.

Fullerton was made by Aria for Music 123/WWBW/Inspirational AV which is now owned by GC/MF

• Members

^^^

Rondomusic.com

the SX Line is good but I don't think they are as good as the LX Pro series as far as their electronics the Rogues are far superior.

I also like that the LX Pros are a 24 fret instrument; the SX Bass guitars are only 21 fret instruments...JMO

• Members

Oh.....I did look at Rondo music a while back....not impressed.

Its looking like I will be going with the Rogue 5 string and 6....when I can get customer service at MF...those idiots are dragging there feet to get me that in house credit they owe me $1,050

• Members

Oh.....I did look at Rondo music a while back....not impressed.

Its looking like I will be going with the Rogue 5 string and 6....when I can get customer service at MF...those idiots are dragging there feet to get me that in house credit they owe me $1,050

Call and demand you speak with a manager.

• Members

^^^

Rondomusic.com

the SX Line is good but I don't think they are as good as the LX Pro series as far as their electronics the Rogues are far superior.

I also like that the LX Pros are a 24 fret instrument; the SX Bass guitars are only 21 fret instruments...JMO

Most but not all, there are some 4 stringer SXes that have 24 frets: http://www.rondomusic.com/sb301.html

• Members

Call and demand you speak with a manager.

Thank you so much....it has been several weeks now...:confused:

I got to talk to the supervisor today and he set it up for accounting to credit me by Friday.....:love:

I am going to get "Rogue" one in Pearl White....and one in Quilted Sunset...Cant wait!!

:thu:

• Members

I'm partial to Fullerton. It cost me $29 and gets played more than any of my other basses.

meh

Mine cost 35 including shipping. there was a chip in the headstock, the P pup sounded weak and thin (although the J was ok) and I replaced it. It sounds much better now, but i think stringing it BEGC was a mistake. the neck isnt holding the relief i set, keeps bowing. :9

Archived