I might be getting a Stimulus Jazz 5!!

Crescent Seven

• Members

edit: an example is on my current project. I've got more tied up in pickups and the Audere pre than you've budgeted for all the hardware and electronics. A big chunk of the budget is hardware if you build a truly top end bass.

How much was the pre though?

I've done projects before, even if I put 150 in the bridge (I know I can get a hipshot nontrem for less), 100 for the tuners (which again, I know I can get for less) and 100 for each pup, and 100 for pots knobs and wiring (which, come on :D) that puts me at 550...

• Members

How much was the pre though?

I've done projects before, even if I put 150 in the bridge (I know I can get a hipshot nontrem for less), 100 for the tuners (which again, I know I can get for less) and 100 for each pup, and 100 for pots knobs and wiring (which, come on
:D
) that puts me at 550...

Yeah, I even downgraded to a $70 bridge, but the Audere was almost $300 alone, and the Nordies are being made as a one-off (long story) and are costing a mint as well. Still, you're right about the neck and body, but some of these pre's and pups just kill the budget. It's over six just for pups and pre. Granted a lot of that wouldn't apply to just about any other bass...

• Members

Yeah, I even downgraded to a $70 bridge, but the Audere was almost $300 alone, and the Nordies are being made as a one-off (long story) and are costing a mint as well. Still, you're right about the neck and body, but some of these pre's and pups just kill the budget. It's over six just for pups and pre. Granted a lot of that wouldn't apply to just about any other bass...

Yeah...A preamp and custom pups are going to add a bit of cash :D

• Members

I played around once, configuring a Dinky P carved top fretless but quit as just the basics (body/neck/finish & options thereof) was approaching >$1000 real fast. Seemed to me $1500 (much less $2.5K) is a lot for a 'homemade' bass.

Are Warmoths really worth that (vis a vis the resale value)?

• Members

Are Warmoths really worth that (vis a vis the resale value)?

If you only value your instruments by what their resale value is, then no they are not worth it. Thats a poor way to put a value on something like this though, you go into a custom project to get what you want, that's not available anywhere else, that fits you. You also don't go into one all concerned with how much you could sell it for. If thats a real concern you can't afford the project and shouldn't bother, because it won't sell for anywhere near what you've put into it. I don't care about resale value of any bass I buy, I buy them because I want what they offer me, and certainly do not plan on selling them right away. If I can't afford to take a huge loss on the bass if it turns out I don't like it, then I can't afford to buy it in the first place.

Edit: you would never call a Warmoth finish body and neck, assembled competently, a 'homemade' bass if you saw one in person. Their components are first rate. Take a look at my Explorer and try to say thats 'homemade'!

• Members

If you only value your instruments by what their resale value is, then no they are not worth it. Thats a poor way to put a value on something like this though, you go into a custom project to get what you want, that's not available anywhere else, that fits you.

I thought about this as well, and honestly, even with nice brand name basses in that price range, you're going to take a substantial hit if you resell it as used, even if you only own it a few months. Look at what used G&L, Musicman, and Spector Euro basses are going for, and it's easy to see that those basses aren't exactly investment pieces, either.

With the design I'm going for, it's going to cost me less than $1000, unless I go buck {censored}ing wild with the exotic woods, and get some wacko electronics upgrade, which is not what I'm after. I want solid build, nice pickups, and nice components. I don't need uber-boutique items, so it won't be all that expensive.

C7

• Members

I thought about this as well, and honestly, even with nice brand name basses in that price range, you're going to take a substantial hit if you resell it as used, even if you only own it a few months. Look at what used G&L, Musicman, and Spector Euro basses are going for, and it's easy to see that those basses aren't exactly investment pieces, either.

Exactly. Dreaming up the bass and seeing it come into reality is an experience that's so worth it, and it sounds like you know exactly what you're getting into and why. A project bass will come out just about as good as the thought and research you put into it. Just remember you can change a lot about a bass once it's built, but you can't change the woods, or pickup routes (unless they're under a pickguard). Choose wisely!:cool:

• Members

If you only value your instruments by what their resale value is, then no they are not worth it. Thats a poor way to put a value on something like this though, you go into a custom project to get what you want, that's not available anywhere else, that fits you. You also don't go into one all concerned with how much you could sell it for. If thats a real concern you can't afford the project and shouldn't bother, because it won't sell for anywhere near what you've put into it. I don't care about resale value of any bass I buy, I buy them because I want what they offer me, and certainly do not plan on selling them right away. If I can't afford to take a huge loss on the bass if it turns out I don't like it, then I can't afford to buy it in the first place.

Edit: you would never call a Warmoth finish body and neck, assembled competently, a 'homemade' bass if you saw one in person. Their components are first rate. Take a look at my Explorer and try to say thats 'homemade'!

I hear what your saying and I don't disagree. I submit the goal of a truly custom bass is the hope you'll never need another.

But do you still have every bass you ever bought? You've never sold/traded any basses?

Point being, I'm thinking if I were trying to decide between buying a used (insert famous name here) and a Warmoth, both aesthetically pleasing, equally playable and similarly priced, guess which one I'd likely lean toward buying...

In any case the big thing for me is I myself want/need the 'security' of being able to hold it, see how it plays, what it sounds like before I plunk down that kind of serious (to me) $$$ for a bass no matter how quality the various bits are. The 'sum' does not always exceed the parts.

But if you have the kind of money needed to roll the dice more power to ya. :)

• Members

I hear what your saying and I don't disagree. I submit the goal of a truly custom bass is the hope you'll never need another.

But do you still have every bass you ever bought? You've never sold/traded any basses?

I have every bass I've ever bought except two, my upright which I wasn't able to take care of or play anymore, and a Hamer import Explorer, that didn't do the job I needed and left to make room for my Warmoth Explorer. I still have all the rest.

Again, these projects aren't for everybody, and they take a little courage to jump into without knowing the final result until it's all complete. Also I wouldn't ever find myself comparing a parts bass to any production bass, since I go the parts route for basses that are totally unique and unavailable from any manufacturer. There is not one bass out there even remotely like any of my Warmoth projects, and comparisons to factory basses are meaningless. If you have the guts to go for it, do the research it takes, and have a very clear idea of what you are aiming for you can be successful and end up with a great bass. If you don't you could end up with an expensive lemon that no one else wants. I still say they're worth the risk if done right.:cool:

• Members

I have every bass I've ever bought except two, my upright which I wasn't able to take care of or play anymore, and a Hamer import Explorer, that didn't do the job I needed and left to make room for my Warmoth Explorer. I still have all the rest.

Again, these projects aren't for everybody, and they take a little courage to jump into without knowing the final result until it's all complete. Also I wouldn't ever find myself comparing a parts bass to any production bass, since I go the parts route for basses that are totally unique and unavailable from any manufacturer. There is not one bass out there even remotely like any of my Warmoth projects, and comparisons to factory basses are meaningless. If you have the guts to go for it, do the research it takes, and have a very clear idea of what you are aiming for you can be successful and end up with a great bass. If you don't you could end up with an expensive lemon that no one else wants. I still say they're worth the risk if done right.
:cool:

Thats my take on it, if you're going to do a project bass then make it one that isn't readily available. Otherwise just go buy that. I agree about the planning too! I ordered my body back in October, it arrived in January. I've been planning and thinking about what direction to go since then. Granted its not a Warmoth body or neck but it still works out expensive regardless. I've ordered everything now and I think I'm hitting around

Archived