Gene Simmons Bass "Solo"

der oxenrig

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I don't judge people by the money they make...so when someone makes the statement "he makes more money than you" it's kind of lost on me. So what...morticians make more money than I do, don't want to be one.

You know who else made more money than you?

070221_CL_HitlerEX.jpg

:D
Sorry, that's a fark.com thing. The whole "you know who else blah blah blah?"

Anyway...rock on.
:rawk:

Yeah, but you want to be in a world-famous rock band that is arguably in the top 5 in popularity of all time, right? I mean, you're not a terrorist or something are you?? :mad::mad::mad:

• Members
yeah it's all pretty funny, you guys making fun of other guys who's success you can only dream about. have fun laughing at them while you're all at your jobs delivering pizza's, scrubbing toilets, sitting in a cubicle and whatnot
:lol:

why does everyone keep factoring in money? does having more money automatically make you musically talented? obviously not

• Members

why does everyone keep factoring in money? does having more money automatically make you musically talented? obviously not

Because they laugh at people like us and go "So how many platinum records do you have?" and the answer is none.

• Members

With very few exceptions, a 12 year old with a few months of lessons could do most of what gets played on the radio these days.

True. The bar has been set so much higher for youth nowadays. My friend teaches guitar lessons for a living and he's said the same thing. With the widespread availability of information (internet, magazines, high quality recordings, affordable/free software), kids are getting amazingly good at early ages. The current crop of middle school kids playing guitar and bass now are far more advanced than the middle school kids from a few decades ago.

I saw a band of 13-year-olds cover "Freebird" (yeah, nice song choice I know), and the two guitarists nailed the solos at the end when the song picks up. Granted, Lynyrd Skynrd isn't Dream Theater or anything, but when I was 13 I could barely play power chords on a guitar.

• Members

True. The bar has been set
so
much higher for youth nowadays. My friend teaches guitar lessons for a living and he's said the same thing. With the widespread availability of information (internet, magazines, high quality recordings, affordable/free software), kids are getting amazingly good at early ages. The current crop of middle school kids playing guitar and bass now are far more advanced than the middle school kids from a few decades ago.

I saw a band of 13-year-olds cover "Freebird" (yeah, nice song choice I know), and the two guitarists nailed the solos at the end when the song picks up. Granted, Lynyrd Skynrd isn't Dream Theater or anything, but when I was 13 I could barely play power chords on a guitar.

Ummm, that's kinda the opposite of the point I was making.

• Members

Ummm, that's kinda the opposite of the point I was making.

Yes it was. I went off on a tangent.

You're right though - a rank beginner could play most of the basslines heard on the radio nowadays. No real chops are needed. That much is true.

• Members

"Good" has nothing to do with it, it is a showman's solo, it is to entertain 15,000 people. An "excellent" bass solo in an arena would lose impact, I think. Besides, amazing bass solos are more for musicians than everyday concert goers, who could give a crap about "chops" or anything like that. Do a poll of everyone who attended that show, 90% will say Simmons did a FANTASTIC bass solo.

I know it's hard for some to accept, but your average person on the street couldn't tell you who was a better bass player, Gene Simmons or Stanley Clarke, nor would they care.

I remember seeing Cheap Trick years ago, Rick Nielsen did an extended guitar solo wearing four guitars, running across the stage, taking each guitar off and THROWING it across to the other side of the stage to a nervous roady in the backstage area, until he got down to the last one, just blazing off riffs in no real order or meaning, just power chords and hammer ons, then finally taking the last guitar off, kissing it, and letting it fall down on the floor, dragging it as it fed back. A GREAT show solo, the crowd went wild. I'd MUCH rather see Neilsen perform than watch someone like Satriani or some other maestro play a "mind blowing" solo.

BTW most hot chicks would also rather see Simmons or Nielsen solo too!!:cool:

• Members

I started listening to Kiss in 74 whith their first Album.
bought every Album after that and still have them.
when I was old enough to go see them I did.
I still dig them

the funny thing is I have been hearing the same old stupid {censored} for the last 34 years which is pretty much Kiss sucks

but you detractors are still bad mouthing them 34 years later

whos the loser?

• Members

I started listening to Kiss in 74 whith their first Album.

bought every Album after that and still have them.

when I was old enough to go see them I did.

I still dig them

the funny thing is I have been hearing the same old stupid {censored} for the last 34 years which is pretty much Kiss sucks

but you detractors are still bad mouthing them 34 years later

whos the loser?

Yup - I've been a fan that long, too... I really think their early music was good enough to stand on it's own merits, but no doubt "the show" rocketed them to stardom...

- georgestrings

• Members

Yup - I've been a fan that long, too... I really think their early music was good enough to stand on it's own merits, but no doubt "the show" rocketed them to stardom...

- georgestrings

I was refering to the original line up.

Like Sabbath there isnt anything really memorable after 78-79

most people just could not get past the makeup. if anyone really listened to Acr Frehleys solo riffs they would realize he does the same Pentatonic (major/minor) in and out like Page, Blackmore,Santanna and Hendrix.

he is a great guitarist who barely gets and recognition. thats what drove him away from the band as well, the circus act Vibe. he wanted to be taken seriously.

I still listen to the original stuff and I still love it like I was 14....

how could you still not want to

Rock and Roll all night and party EVERY day!

• Members

yep...all the difference between what 'players' think is good and what fans think is good. My brother still says the best bass solo he has ever seen was Mike Anthony on the OU812 tour...because it "Rawked" He would be bored off his ass watching killer players like Wooten because to him its not 'musical'. Same reason why desperate housewives or The OC were big hits...

different strokes

• Members

I loved Kiss when I saw them the first time...it was a great, high energy show. The records were always disappointing to me...I just thought the songs were mostly pretty weak. Still do.

They don't care what I think, why should they?

My band ( the Raisins) opened for them once, back in the 70's. We got a call at the bar we were playing at (Charlie Goodnights in Raleigh, NC) that their opener (Climax Blues) had plane trouble, would we do it? Well {censored} yeah, we'd do it. It was a big crowd, we played a short & sweet set - didn't really get any abuse from the audience which was a friggin miracle - hauled ass out there and went back to our bar gig.

• Members

My band ( the Raisins) opened for them once, back in the 70's. We got a call at the bar we were playing at (Charlie Goodnights in Raleigh, NC) that their opener (Climax Blues) had plane trouble, would we do it? Well {censored} yeah, we'd do it. It was a big crowd, we played a short & sweet set - didn't really get any abuse from the audience which was a friggin miracle - hauled ass out there and went back to our bar gig.

I was at that show at Dorton Arena in Raleigh -- my first concert. I thought the opening act was called the Raisin Band. heh

dorton10.jpg

Dorton Arena

Glad to know that story. :)

• Members

I read most of this thread and agree with those that say that Gene is about the show and about business. I really respect him as he's a no bull{censored} guy. What you see is what you get. Watching him on Celebrity Apprentice was hilarious. While he certainly respects Trump, he refused to take any guff from him or his daughter.

He's doing/done what many of us dream of doing with our lives. The difference is that he actually did it while some of us sit on the sidelines and whine about his bass playing.

• Members
I was at that show at Dorton Arena in Raleigh -- my first concert. I thought the opening act was called the Raisin Band. heh

Glad to know that story.
:)

So you know I ain't lyin' ! :wave:

And you're right, we were the Raisin Band back then. What was it - '76? I would have been 21 years old then. :eek:

Archived