My new Electric orange SX!!!!

bassred

• Members

That's right, I got me a new SX today, and it's hot!!

A little back story... driving home from church yesterday and my 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee decided that it no longer wanted to function, or at least the transmission decided that, so there I was at the side of the road with no 'Go'.........

So I called out from my evening job tonight and my wife and I headed down to the Kia place.. We got a Kia Spectra 5 SX!!!!

It's a cute little hatchback with a lot of zing and some pretty cool features, so while we weren't planning on looking at a car for a month or two, we are not going to have to deal with old car issues anymore... and with a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty, we can rest a little easier, now it's just going to take a bit to get used to the payments (having one at all is something we haven't dealth with for over a year) and we're stuck being a one-car family, which we had hoped we were going to finally end when we did get a new car....

OverSpectra5.gif

Oh yeah, anyone know someone who wants a 94 Grand Cherokee Ltd as a project car???? The radiator is new and the starter system was redone less than a year ago, and it is running strong, just not going anywhere......

And you thought I got a new bass........:cool:

• Members
Kia has come a long way. We just bought a Sorento.

I was looking at the Spectra hatchbacks when we were at the dealer, they're pretty cool. I could haul my rig in it.

C7

I love Kia Motors!!!!Not the best cars to get hit by a semi in though.......:freak:I guess I survived, tho......

• Members

Oh you little... I was excited to see a modded SX with sexy orange on it
:mad:

tehe...... That's what I wanted it to look like..

Yeah, the Rio 5 was just a little small and I was concerned about the cargo room, so we went up to the Spectra, it's actually quite roomy, and this one has a lot of nice features (6 speaker stereo, aux input for an mp3 player, etc..) and is more than we were looking to get. buying a car under duress is never a good idea, but we had only one car, so we would have been stuck renting or borrowing for a few weeks, and that sucks, and then who knows how long it would have been before something else came up....

I like the safety features, it has all the airbags (front and side curtain) steel inpact beam in the doors, and did pretty good (for a car it's size) in the crash tests.

Let me tell you, 4 bangers have come a long way! this thing scoots with its 2.0L 4 banger, so I'm not even going to miss all the gas I had to put into the Jeep.....

• Members

Congratz on the new car. My wife has been driving a 1991 Toyota Tercel till (she says)the wheels are square. 160K and the damn thing keeps buzzing right along. It won't die. We'll check those Kia's out when the time comes but I'm not holding my breath. The tercel only has a 1500cc engine but man it scoots too! I didn't know Hyundi took em over. That's good to know. Sweet ride, man!

• Members

Yeah, all I ever heard about the Jeep was that it wouldn't die, until the tranny failed and then all I hear is people saying 'Oh yeah, those CHrysler transmissions......" it's like they ren't alowed to talk bad about them until you've had one fail...

• Members

Congratz on the new car. My wife has been driving a 1991 Toyota Tercel till (she says)the wheels are square. 160K and the damn thing keeps buzzing right along. It won't die. We'll check those Kia's out when the time comes but I'm not holding my breath. The tercel only has a 1500cc engine but man it scoots too! I didn't know Hyundi took em over. That's good to know. Sweet ride, man!

I had a 1987 Tercel that I bought with 114k. In 3 years I delivered thousands of pizzas with it, took it snowboarding almost every weekend over 12,000' mountain passes, drove it on Jeep trails, and did more J-turns and e-brake slides than any man should be allowed to in a lifetime. I sold it with 255,000 miles on it, and only because the clutch slave cylinder went out on it. I never had to replace the clutch, the only maintenance I did beyond regular stuff was the timing belt and the brakes.

If I could buy that car again, for the same price I paid for it, with the same miles, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Kick ass little car.

C7

• Members

I ran into the back of a Kia at about 5 miles an hour with my VW Golf about three years ago. It totally destroyed the Kia. I mean I couldn't believe how that thing crumpled. After seeing that I would never buy a Kia.

It's pretty amazing then that all the cars I've read about have done very well in a crash test.. could it be that the crumple zomes work and are there for a reason?? one thing that impressed me about the Kias is that they have steel beems in the doors, front airbags and side-curtain airbags, hell, the front passenger seat detects weight under a certain amount, it shuts the airbag off for you..... methinks you exaggerate about the rate of speed at which you hit the car, just a thought...

• Members

It's pretty amazing then that all the cars I've read about have done very well in a crash test.. could it be that the crumple zomes work and are there for a reason?? one thing that impressed me about the Kias is that they have steel beems in the doors, front airbags and side-curtain airbags, hell, the front passenger seat detects weight under a certain amount, it shuts the airbag off for you..... methinks you exaggerate about the rate of speed at which you hit the car, just a thought...

trust me I'm not exaggerating. Several witnesses on the scene described the accident to the police just as I have to you. I hit that thing with a bit more than a tap and the whole back end crumpled. In fact they had to bring a roll back to the scene to take the thing away because the right wheel well was completly crushed. I almost {censored} when I saw that.

Perhaps Kia Rio's are better than they used to be, but you'll never see me buying one. No I think I'll stick with my mighty German cars

• Members

Perhaps Kia Rio's are better than they used to be, but you'll never see me buying one. No I think I'll stick with my mighty German cars

I did an alarm inspection at Osborne VW and Kia last year. The service department for the VW's had 12 bay doors, the Kia service department had 2, and the dealerships were the same size. When I walked through the parking lot, there was a line of VW's waiting for service that was longer than the building and 2 deep. All 24 lifts had cars on them.

I went into the Kia service department, and you'd never believe what I saw. 4 Volkswagens. They were using it as their service overflow. I asked a service writer for VW how many cars they see come in a day for warranty work, and he said "no clue, but I work 12 hours of overtime a week."

There wasn't a single solitary Kia in line for warranty work, and it's the biggest Kia dealer in town. I bought a Kia Sorento less than a month later. You can keep your mighty Volkswagen, there's no way I'd ever buy one.

C7

• Members

Do you know what year the Kia you hit was, B-Bottom? Despite generally good scores, the older Kia Rios and Spectras, as well as the Hyundai Accents and Elantras, had abysmal crash test safety ratings. It's something Hyundai Motor Corp has really worked on with recent models.

Hyundai and Kia followed a very similar path, interesting because they are the same company now. When Hyundais first came out, they were one of the worst cars you could buy. Now they're one of the most reliable. The same goes for Kia - the ones from the mid and late 90's were pretty crappy, but the ones now are a much, much better. The only complaint I hear is that the fit and finish on the interior components isn't the best, but that's hardly a mechanical/reliability issue. I'm definitely looking at a Kia Rio Cinco station wagon for my next car, since the resale value is so low that I'll be able to score a used one pretty cheap.

Volkswagen has incredible customer loyalty, but according to Consumer Reports they're one of the least reliable brands.

• Members

Do you know what year the Kia you hit was, B-Bottom? Despite generally good scores, the older Kia Rios and Spectras, as well as the Hyundai Accents and Elantras, had abysmal crash test safety ratings. It's something Hyundai Motor Corp has really worked on with recent models.

Hyundai and Kia followed a very similar path, interesting because they are the same company now. When Hyundais first came out, they were one of the worst cars you could buy. Now they're one of the most reliable. The same goes for Kia - the ones from the mid and late 90's were pretty crappy, but the ones now are a much, much better. The only complaint I hear is that the fit and finish on the interior components isn't the best, but that's hardly a mechanical/reliability issue. I'm definitely looking at a Kia Rio Cinco station wagon for my next car, since the resale value is so low that I'll be able to score a used one pretty cheap.

Volkswagen has incredible customer loyalty, but according to Consumer Reports they're one of the least reliable brands.

We were looking at the Cinco, it just didn't seem that my bass rig would fit without being uncomfortable....

I used to work in a metal fabrication shop, CNC mills and lathes making mil-spec components for the military, 80% of our CNC lathes were made by KIA, so when they came out with cars in the states I said 'give them ten years to work out the kinks just like Hyundai and they'll be decent little cars' I'm very pleased, the interior is nicely done and it will be a good vehicle for us to hold onto.

• Members

Is Audi the upscale version of Volkswagen? My sister's ex-boyfriend bought a 1998 Audi A4 brand new. They're freakishly expensive (something like $40k just for a basic four door sedan) and completely unreliable. He always had the thing in the shop with something or another. The last thing I remember was him dumping $2300 into the stupid thing, which had become a regular occurence after the warranty expired. He took care of his car and had all the proper maintenance done - it was just a piece of crap from the start.

• Members

Is Audi the upscale version of Volkswagen? My sister's ex-boyfriend bought a 1998 Audi A4 brand new. They're freakishly expensive (something like $40k just for a basic four door sedan) and completely unreliable. He always had the thing in the shop with something or another. The last thing I remember was him dumping $2300 into the stupid thing, which had become a regular occurence after the warranty expired. He took care of his car and had all the proper maintenance done - it was just a piece of crap from the start.

Audis are {censored}ing garbage, and always have been. It's amazing that people still buy them after all these years. They've been unreliable and costly to own since the 80's.

I mean, they're nicely appointed, but that's like putting dubs and ground effects on a dumpster.

My stepfather is a BMW master technician. I asked for his advice on a potential purchase of a 1989 BMW 3-series (can't remember the exact model), and he told me that I'd be stupid to own any German car out of warranty, regardless of it's current condition. "German engineering" is a myth. If it was really as awesome as everyone thinks it is, they would have figured out how to make consistently reliable cars that don't cost a fortune to repair by now.

I suppose there's something to be said for how quickly an American driver can put 100,000 miles on a car compared to a European driver, though. "Reliable" is a moving target for European car companies...

C7

Archived