It's not mine, but it is pretty

Kindness

• Moderators

I have a lot of nice basses pass through my hands that I don't talk about here. I was just sending a forum member pictures of his bass that I am working on and decided I'd share them with everyone. As far as 4 string jazz basses go, this one is tough to beat in quality and flexibility for the price. It's not my favorite bass in the world, it might not even be my favorite jazz bass thanks to bpocall's pink beaut, but this is one hell of a nice bass:

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

Active/passive, series/parallel. This is the way all J's should be wired.

• Members

Those really need some other sort of pickups in them, in my opinion. A J with more switches is still a J, and a Jag ought to be different.

There's a nordie model I think would be great, went looking for them with google, and stumbled across this bizarre Korean beauty:

http://teslatek.en.ecplaza.net/2.asp

2l.jpg

No clue whether they sound great or like crap, but they look cool as hell! :)

• Members

Kindness says:

The screw spacing on the tuners is 1 3/8" across the top, 1" across the bottom and 1 1/2" top to bottom.

Schaller says:

Mounting hole spacing is 13/16" across the top, 11/16" across the bottom, and 1-3/8" top to bottom(on center). Requires 11/16" peghead holes.

So they are a no go, like you I find it really weird that Fender used non-standard tuners on Jags, but they are quite unusual basses.

• Members

Those really need some other sort of pickups in them, in my opinion. A J with more switches is still a J, and a Jag ought to be different.

I agree totally. They should put some unique, upscale electronics in a bass that has the kind of selectability that the Jaguar does. But hey, it's Fender, and that would cost them like $23 more to produce, so it's an obvious no-go. :D

C7

• Members

Kindness says:

Schaller says:

So they are a no go, like you I find it really weird that Fender used non-standard tuners on Jags, but they are quite unusual basses.

Just go ahead and make the modification!!

Get some dowels & glue. Plug the holes; then re-route them for the proper dimensions. Then REALLY go for it and stop pussyfooting around with black tuners. Get RED ones!!! Get 'em while Sperzel has them in stock. Red isn't always immediately available.

Remember: Do the right thing!!!

• Members

I agree totally. They should put some unique, upscale electronics in a bass that has the kind of selectability that the Jaguar does. But hey, it's Fender, and that would cost them like $23 more to produce, so it's an obvious no-go.
:D
C7

What? Is Fender known for being a skinflint?

• Members

Just go ahead and make the modification!!

Get some dowels & glue. Plug the holes; then re-route them for the proper dimensions. Then REALLY go for it and stop pussyfooting around with black tuners. Get RED ones!!! Get 'em while Sperzel has them in stock. Red isn't always immediately available.

Remember: Do the right thing!!!

lol no thanks!

Kindness is doing the mods anywho :)

• Members

I agree totally. They should put some unique, upscale electronics in a bass that has the kind of selectability that the Jaguar does. But hey, it's Fender, and that would cost them like $23 more to produce, so it's an obvious no-go.
:D
C7

I thought so too but on the other hand, using J pickups does leave a lot of options for aftermarket pickups, which a unique shape wouldn't allow.

Archived