I got a new gun

burdizzos

• Members
I got a rabid raccoon/cop story.

Kinda the same situation...neighbors called and said there was a raccoon acting funny in my yard during the day. I called the cops and they showed up. They decided to shoot it with their handguns...Sig P229's I think.

I have never seen such a sad display of police inaccuracy in my life. The first cop emptied his entire mag without hitting the damn thing once! 13 rounds. The second cop hit it...but only after firing most of his mag...maybe 8 or 9 rounds.

The animal control guy just laughed at both of them. These guys weren't rookies either...there are only like 8 cops in my town, and these two were there for a long time!

:freak:

WTF were they shooting it with their pistols for? Go get the freakin' shotgun.

Even with the pistol I could've hit it with less than 21 shots.:cop:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I don't want to light off my .45 in the back yard and I definitely don't want to use my shotgun. Last time they were trying to pin my dog down so I don't want to accidentally hit my own dog with buckshot or 00.

I also really don't want to cap a coyote with a 30-06. It's a bit of overkill and that coyote isn't going to stop that round.

It's semi auto, so I'm ppretty positive that 2 quick head shots will bring it down fast. Plus last time I had 7 or 8 of them in the back yard at once and my 30-06 is a bolt action. I wanted something semi-auto.

I wouldn't use a .30-06 either! I was thinking more like a .223...but I guess you'd still have to deal with over travel. The whole dog thing makes it all make better sense though...

• Members
:freak:

WTF were they shooting it with their pistols for? Go get the freakin' shotgun.

Even with the pistol I could've hit it with less than 21 shots.
:cop:

I don't know. They were morons? With my pistol I would have hit it right in the head with the first shot. Easily. We were 10 yards away from the damn thing...

• Members

Well, I don't want to light off my .45 in the back yard and I definitely don't want to use my shotgun. Last time they were trying to pin my dog down so I don't want to accidentally hit my own dog with buckshot or 00.

I also really don't want to cap a coyote with a 30-06. It's a bit of overkill and that coyote isn't going to stop that round.

It's semi auto, so I'm ppretty positive that 2 quick head shots will bring it down fast. Plus last time I had 7 or 8 of them in the back yard at once and my 30-06 is a bolt action. I wanted something semi-auto.

Yeah, firing off a .30-06 in your backyard would not be a good idea. Particularly if you are in a residential area. People would think a freakin' car bomb exploded.

A .22 on the other hand is like a BB-gun. Whenever I shoot big rifles and then go back to the .22, sometimes I have to stop myself from checking for misfires;)

• Members

Are they actually
that
intimidating?

Have you ever stared down a rabid possum in an enclosed space? Those little {censored}ers are mean. They don't give a {censored}, they don't feel pain and they have sharp teeth.

I saw a guy come out on the losing end of a skirmish with a large rat because he figured he could just whack the {censored}er with a bat. The little bastard bit the {censored} out of him and my dad had to drive him to the hospital after he shot the rat with a .22 pistol.

I was hoping the possum would be snuggled up in the boxes he knocked over so I could spotlight him and put a round into his head. I got lucky, he moved out.

• Members

Have you ever stared down a rabid possum in an enclosed space? Those little {censored}ers are mean. They don't give a {censored}, they don't feel pain and they have sharp teeth.

I saw a guy come out on the losing end of a skirmish with a large rat because he figured he could just whack the {censored}er with a bat. The little bastard bit the {censored} out of him and my dad had to drive him to the hospital after he shot the rat with a .22 pistol.

I was hoping the possum would be snuggled up in the boxes he knocked over so I could spotlight him and put a round into his head. I got lucky, he moved out.

Naaa, it was genuine curiosity - we don't get them over here so I have no idea what they are like. Several years ago a bunch of people up in Worcestershire got mauled by a badger which must have been pretty embarrassing

• Members

I'm more than a decent shot, but the coyotes we have around here are a little bigger than what a .22 could take down. I'm more than competent when it comes to shooting accuracy.

I wouldn't use a .30-06 either! I was thinking more like a .223...but I guess you'd still have to deal with over travel. The whole dog thing makes it all make better sense though...

I agree - the coyotes we have here in NY would not be dropping with a body shot with a .22 rimfire - and even a .22mag is a bit light for them... Sure, they'll die, but recovery can be difficult with smaller/less powerful rounds... I hunt coyotes a fair amount, and have used a .220swift, .223, .22-250, and currently use a .243 the most... With Winchester 100gr PowerPoints, I drop 'em on the spot, and *usually* don't damage the pelts too much - also, a 100gr bullet in .243 is pretty good in the wind - which is a common factor during coyote season in upstate NY...

In my experience, coyotes don't stay still very much - so head shots aren't usually all that easy on them...

- georgestrings

• Members

Naaa, it was genuine curiosity - we don't get them over here so I have no idea what they are like. Several years ago a bunch of people up in Worcestershire got mauled by a badger which must have been pretty embarrassing

Nothing to be embarrassed about - badgers are nothing to play around with...

- georgestrings

• Members

It should be noted that coyotes vary wildly in size.

Desert coyotes are small little buggers that rarely get above 25 pounds.

In the northern, mountainous areas, they get up around 45 pounds.

In the eastern US, what most people call coyotes are actually wild dogs that are a mix of coyotes and various domesticated breeds. As a result, they tend to be very large.

For close up coyote killing, I'd like one of those Kel-tec 9mm assault rifles.

• Members

I agree - the coyotes we have here in NY would not be dropping with a body shot with a .22 rimfire - and even a .22mag is a bit light for them... Sure, they'll die, but recovery can be difficult with smaller/less powerful rounds... I hunt coyotes a fair amount, and have used a .220swift, .223, .22-250, and currently use a .243 the most... With Winchester 100gr PowerPoints, I drop 'em on the spot, and *usually* don't damage the pelts too much - also, a 100gr bullet in .243 is pretty good in the wind - which is a common factor during coyote season in upstate NY...

In my experience, coyotes don't stay still very much - so head shots aren't usually all that easy on them...

- georgestrings

They are when they are literally within 30 feet of you and refusing to budge because they have prey (my dog) in their sights.

I figure as soon as I drop one or two the rest will scatter anyway. And probably not come back. They're scavengers, but they are not stupid. And I can squeexe of 10 well placed rounds from that ruger in 5 seconds or so.

And these were pretty decent size. I'd say 45 pounds or so. Looked pretty well fed.

• Members

- georgestrings

They don't stay still, but remember, the ruger 10-22 is a pretty light gun, so it wouldn't be that hard to track one and get several shots off before it ran off anywhere.

But yes, the coyotes in my part of the world are smaller than in yours.

• Members

They are when they are literally within 30 feet of you and refusing to budge because they have prey (my dog) in their sights.

I figure as soon as I drop one or two the rest will scatter anyway. And probably not come back. They're scavengers, but they are not stupid. And I can squeexe of 10 well placed rounds from that ruger in 5 seconds or so.

And these were pretty decent size. I'd say 45 pounds or so. Looked pretty well fed.

In a case like that, I'd probably use my CZ-75B 9mm - I'm pretty fast with it...

- georgestrings

• Members
In a case like that, I'd probably use my CZ-75B 9mm - I'm pretty fast with it...

- georgestrings

THought about my Ruger P95DC, but I do want a bit more accuracy than a handgun, even though the Ruger is pretty good. The 10/22 will do me just fine and the coyotes anything but. :)

I've taken down plenty of them with a .22LR before back when I lived up in the hills.

• Members

I saw a possum climbing a tree in my yard last summer.

1- it was the nastiest looking animal I have ever seen.

2- the move very slow. that creeped me out.

3- I went out with a flashlight sometime later and it was gone.

it still bugs me that I dont know where it went

Aren't they ugly little buggers? When I lived back home, I used to take a 3 mile walk out in the country at night. I brought a flashlight, but usually the moon was bright enough so I didn't need it. Anyway, I saw an animal coming towards me, and thought it was someone's cat that had gotten out. I knelt down and said "here kitty kitty," then shined my flashlight on it. HOLY CRAP! My eyes were scarred by the form of a possum in a full spectrum of light, just three feet away. Yikes.

• Members

We have Possums and Raccoons around here. The idiot neighbor feeds the sumbitches. I have not tried to dispatch one of these critters with my pellet rifle as I can't run as fast as I used to. I've seen too many cases of a wild animals that were cornered and an ordinary human is not capable of handling the kind of strike speed animals have. Possums are the dumbest animal on the planet. Rather than shoot them if you corner one, try confusing it by challenging it to a spelling bee or a riddle.

Honestly, the goal should be to dispatch the animal as humanely as possible. The ideal round for rural pest control is the .22 Hornet. It's quiet, it's effective out to 100 yards, it's easy to control and you don't have to worry too much about what the bullet will do after it flours the field with a pink mist of visera and bloody tissue. I had a Thompson Contender in .22 Hornet with a 14'' scoped barrel. That was a fun gun to kill god's wonderous creatures. Wish I still had it.

• Members

I just found out something interesting.

Sporting spring piston air rifles, like mine, generate up to 45% of their energy from combustion.

When the piston slams forward after the trigger is pulled, a small amount of lubricating oil is atomized and combusts under the pressure as it would in a diesel engine. It is an unintended but beneficial side effect of ramping up the muzzle velocity on this particular design.

That accounts for the crack that I am hearing.

• Members

I used to kill lots of things will my pellet gun. My dad had me shoot gofers because we had tons of the little things and they put holes everywhere in the yard. I've also shot blackbirds, robins (even though they were WI's state bird and illegal to kill), and rabbits.

Something happened years ago though, and I can't do it anymore. The image of shooting a rabbit, then following it to where it lay dying, its side slowly moving up and down, taking its last breaths... it still bothers me to this day, even though that was more than a decade ago. I also remember shooting a gopher and paralyzing it, causing it it to shriek as it dragged it's paralyzed back half down the nearest gopher hole. I wasn't able to catch it to put it out of its misery. I just can't shoot animals anymore. I have no problem with people that like to hunt and stuff, but it just isn't for me.

Ironically, I don't think I'd have any problem killing a human being under the right circumstances.

Archived