I should have gotten that flu shot...

der oxenrig

• Members

I spew phlegm and cough, but I'm rarely laid-out sick.

When I am, it's normally the Hantavirus or some stupid {censored}.

Hell, I walked around with a cracked sternum and three fractured ribs for a month before realizing that it wasn't soreness from working out.

• Members

The flu shot doesn't give you the flu. Also, if you get a stomach virus and throw-up with a fever etc etc...this is NOT influenza.

If you've never had a flu shot, there is a chance the first one may kick your immune system into overdrive, giving you flu-like symptoms...but you don't actually have the flu. The next year you get the shot, chances are you won't go through the same thing again.

I get the shot every year and I don't get so much as a cold (even though the viruses are different). Same with my wife.

Also, with OMB...the shot you got in 1978 didn't make you almost die. You may have already contracted the flu when you go the shot...as the shot doesn't take hold for a couple of weeks afterwards. This is also a common misunderstanding.

Please understand...the flu CAN kill you...the shot cannot. (unless you're allergic to eggs...which the flu shots are incubated in). Are you allergic to eggs OMB?

But having said all this, don't take the advice of people on a forum or your friends with "I got the so-and-so and it made me sick...don't do it". As with all things like this, check with your doctor, not from some boneheads (me included) on a forum before making a decision. :D

• Members

I never bother getting the flu shot. :idk:

I don't get sick much and when I do I recover pretty fast. Even when I've broken bones and stuff, my recovery was surprisingly fast. Even much so that I was brought in for a trial several years ago after I broke a bone in my elbow.

:)

• Members

Also, with OMB...the shot you got in 1978 didn't make you almost die. You may have already contracted the flu when you go the shot...as the shot doesn't take hold for a couple of weeks afterwards. This is also a common misunderstanding.

Please understand...the flu CAN kill you...the shot cannot. (unless you're allergic to eggs...which the flu shots are incubated in). Are you allergic to eggs OMB?

:D

Yes I did almost die. I was in the Army and stationed in Bamberg Germany at the time and they rushed me to Nurnberg hospital and had me on IV's for 3 days and in the hostpital for a week. No, eggs don't bother me.

A guy I work with now his mother took the flu shot in 1978 and in 3 hours she was dead. This may have been the same year of the Swine Flu epidemic if my memory serves me right.

OMB

• Members

Yuck. Wednesday night I started to get a sore throat and I knew what was coming. I called in sick the past two days of work, which ironically were supposed to be my last two days of work!

I took a ton of Zicam, Vit C, OJ and extra vitamins. Feeling much better already.

Hope you feel better!

• Members

The flu shot doesn't give you the flu. Also, if you get a stomach virus and throw-up with a fever etc etc...this is NOT influenza.

If you've never had a flu shot, there is a chance the first one may kick your immune system into overdrive, giving you flu-like symptoms...but you don't actually have the flu. The next year you get the shot, chances are you won't go through the same thing again.

I get the shot every year and I don't get so much as a cold (even though the viruses are different). Same with my wife.

But having said all this, don't take the advice of people on a forum or your friends with "I got the so-and-so and it made me sick...don't do it". As with all things like this, check with your doctor, not from some boneheads (me included) on a forum before making a decision.
:D

+1

There is so much misinformation and anecdotal crap about flu shots (and vaccines as well) out there. They save lives.

Archived