"Money For Nothing" is a terrible song.

bikehorn

• Members

God damn do I hate this song. It's stuck in my head!!! :mad::mad::mad:

What a terrible, annoying piece of crap. I can't believe this wasn't included when Guitar World did the 100 worst riffs, licks and solos a couple of years ago. So annoying. So cheesy. So horribly 80's. The non-cool part of the 80's.

• Members

Knopfler is a very tasty player......as is sting ........but everyone makes mistakes for the sake of commerce....

The funny part is that they made it as a mockery of commercial music, with cliche structure and melody.

And it turned into a world hit.

• Members

Cool! Thanks for the list. Usually when a bunch of know-everything 20-somethings get together yet another fricken list to put down the past as if only what THEY do is any good, it usually means whatever they're putting down is good.

Just be prepared all you young-uns....in 20 years they'll be a fresh crop of people that claim everything YOU did was crap....but they'll be "re-discovering" the stuff you put down today. There's no escaping it: What you like or play today, will be ridiculed in the future by someone. If you're ridiculed now though, in the future you'll be "ahead of your time". I don't pretend to understand it all. :freak:

Guess it always skips a generation.

• Members

Knopfler is a very tasty player......as is sting ........but everyone makes mistakes for the sake of commerce....

He didn't make a mistake for the sake of commerce. He was parodying the music business, and commerce and greed in general.

Yes, it's inane, catchy, and insanely "stick in your head" annoying, it was designed to be. If you can't see the humor in it, that's just sad.

I wish I could write a song that "terrible".

Edit: fixed typo, d'oh!

• Members

Just be prepared all you young-uns....in 20 years they'll be a fresh crop of people that claim everything YOU did was crap....but they'll be "re-discovering" the stuff you put down today. There's no escaping it: What you like or play today, will be ridiculed in the future by someone. If you're ridiculed now though, in the future you'll be "ahead of your time". I don't pretend to understand it all.
:freak:

Guess it always skips a generation.

By the time my 3-5 year old nieces are old enough to be "hating on" the music that was popular during this decade, I'll have had a 20 year head on them start doing just. :p It's not like I have some universal disdain for the 80's or music made during the 80's...but I do find most things about this song cheesy and annoying. The synth lines, the drum sounds, the lyrical delivery...even if it was a spoof of commercial music of the time thus not necessarily making it commercial itself, I still think it sounds the same and it therefore is no less annoying to listen to. Knopfler's a solid guitarist though.

All I'm saying is, if it were 1984 and I were offered a choice between "Money For Nothing" and "Bizarre Love Triangle", I know which I'd go for.

Archived