Guitar Hero

grendle

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still love some of the peripheral benefits of this game series.

For example, at work we have an classic rock station playing usually. I was helping this lady out and her like 10 year old son said to her, "Hey mom, listen! It's Kansas!" and started singing "Carry on my wayward sonnnn.."

It's bringing classic rock to a whole new generation who is right now being raised on crap synth music and covers.

Mad props to that alone.

• Members
that {censored} is killing traditions, 10 years ago, kids wanted real guitars for christmas, now they want guitar hero, they dont care about know anything about the song they are ''playing''.

10 years ago kids wanted a PS2 for Christmas...;)

Seriously, all the folks who think that the kids who would otherwise be playing normal instruments are getting "ruined" by Guitar Hero (or think that these kids think they actually know how to play, or this is a substitute, or whatever), I've got to wonder exactly how many gamers these people they actually know...

Folks should stick to complaining about how the neighbor kids won't get off your lawn and how the mail lady is stealing your social security checks...

• Members
10 years ago kids wanted a PS2 for Christmas...
;)

Seriously, all the folks who think that the kids who would otherwise be playing normal instruments are getting "ruined" by Guitar Hero (or think that these kids think they actually know how to play, or this is a substitute, or whatever), I've got to wonder exactly how many gamers these people they actually know...

Folks should stick to complaining about how the neighbor kids won't get off your lawn and how the mail lady is stealing your social security checks...

+1

I have not read most of this thread, but let me say for the record, Guitar Hero is a fun game! Period. I also believe that playing it (or doing anything that requires some sort of rhythm-controlled activity) probably benefits real musicians by stimuliating the synapses between the aural and muscle centers (and yes the visual too... believe it or not some musicians read music). For those who disagree, get and READ a copy of "Your Brain on Music" by Daniel J. Levitin. Then we can have a more useful and meaningful dialogue, IMO.

I also believe that GH may in fact be encouraging more people to at least try to play the guitar. There is no point in deriding any game that is not the real thing... games are for having fun!

Instead of deriding the game, more of us should be applauding the fact that if nothing else (and as I stated, it is doing much more) the game is likely introducing some people to some music they may not be familiar with, and in a fun way! What the heck can possibly be wrong about that! :confused:

Now, if I were going to complain about anything related to GH (and I admit that I have only played one version of the game) it would be hey let's get some more music genres in there! Bring on the funk and the blues and how 'bout some flamenco and Motown! NOW we're talkin'! :thu:

• Members
Instead of deriding the game, more of us should be applauding the fact that if nothing else (and as I stated, it is doing much more) the game is likely introducing some people to some music they may not be familiar with, and in a fun way! What the heck can possibly be wrong about that!
:confused:

Right on.

My 8 yr. old son has Sabbath and the Stones and lots of cool songs on his iPod now. I said to him he was probably the only kid in second grade that liked Sabbath and he said all his classmates like them.

I've played classic rock songs on the radio to my kids for years. They never really cared for it. But. Once they got to play it at Guitar Hero they really noticed the ins and outs of the songs and next thing you know my son is asking me to download the Sex Pistols.

• Members

My official position is that it is a lot of fun, but it is as hard as hell. I tried playing Muse - Knights of Cydonia on medium and it totally kicked my ass. It won't help you play real guitar. And being able to play real guitar won't help you play the game, but it is still a load of fun.

• Members
My official position is that it is a lot of fun, but it is as hard as hell. I tried playing Muse - Knights of Cydonia on medium and it totally kicked my ass. It won't help you play real guitar. And being able to play real guitar won't help you play the game, but it is still a load of fun.

No kidding. Wait till you try it on hard!! It took me like 10 tries, I even had to go try the slowmo practice mode for all the triplets at the end. :eek:

• Members

people have said that they feel that GH is a good rhythm trainer but i dont think i really agree with that. i think that the 'feel' of the songs in (GH2 at least) is pretty far ahead of the beat. you have to play really on top to hit the notes properly which isn't always a good thing in real life.

• Members
people have said that they feel that GH is a good rhythm trainer but i dont think i really agree with that. i think that the 'feel' of the songs in (GH2 at least) is pretty far ahead of the beat. you have to play really on top to hit the notes properly which isn't always a good thing in real life.

Do you play on a newer TV by chance? I know for both GH2 and GH3 I have to do a TV synchronization in the game settings. Especially if you use HD-out on an HDTV, it's going to have a lag. I believe mine is set to 40ms on GH2 and about 15ms on GH3.

I couldn't play on my friends and was like wtf why am I missing everything? Then I synched it and it had to adjust like 70ms :eek:

Archived