OT: any forumites from Wales?

boscal45

• Members

Modern English = Anglosaxon + French + some other bits.

not quite...

Modern english= middle english + time + latin and greek technical terms + international communication/immigrants

middle english = old english (anglo-saxon) + french (thanks to the norman invasion)

old english = the germanic language of the angles, saxons, and jutes + celtic dialect

germanic language= indo-european + ... time? distance?

• Members

whoops. that isnt quite what i meant, and that was a bad choice of words. what i meant is that about 2500 years ago, welsh and the celtic dialect/s that would develop into english were quite similar. welsh has basically stayed the same, while english has not. so we have modern english and welsh, which are completely different languages now, but at one time, they were similar (although it wouldnt have been called english at the time). so one of the things that i want to do while i am in wales is look at syntax and structure and see how they developed differently.

not quite...

Modern english= middle english + time + latin and greek technical terms + international communication/immigrants

middle english = old english (anglo-saxon) + french (thanks to the norman invasion)

old english = the germanic language of the angles, saxons, and jutes + celtic dialect

I know this, I studied English years ago.

• Members

whoops. that isnt quite what i meant, and that was a bad choice of words. what i meant is that about 2500 years ago, welsh and the celtic dialect/s that would develop into english were quite similar. welsh has basically stayed the same, while english has not. so we have modern english and welsh, which are completely different languages now, but at one time, they were similar (although it wouldnt have been called english at the time). so one of the things that i want to do while i am in wales is look at syntax and structure and see how they developed differently.

not quite...

You're wrong about English and Welsh being the same 2,500 years ago. I'm struggling to understand where you're coming from to be honest. Celtic had ALREADY split into its own constituent groups by 1000 BC, and you need to go much further back to when PIE (Proto Indo European) was probably a single language (or dialect continuum) - you're talking at least 2,500 BC.

2,500 years ago Brythonic Celtic and Proto-Germanic (the ancestors of Welsh and English respectively) were completely different languages. English would probably be nearer to Polish or Czech than Welsh if it weren't for their geographical propinquity and shared history.

You're mistaken if you think any 'celtic dialect' had much effect on Old English. As I said before, most words of Celtic descent in English are either (a) much later borrowings like 'whisky' or (b) hydronyms and toponyms (which are conservative in almost all languages)

Scholars have posited that there is a Celtic substratum in Old English (which is reflected in its analytic tendencies) but it's a hot topic amongst comparative historical linguists.

If you wanna learn a language that's closely related to English try German, Dutch or possibly French - but don't try and learn Welsh thinking it's related to English because it ain't!

Archived