OT: any forumites from Wales?

boscal45

• Members

why not? im an english lit major, with an emphasis on medieval lit. studying in wales will give me a chance to see what the medieval authors saw and hopefully make the text more alive. the welsh language is also very intriguing to me, since it is a direct ancestor of our modern english. studying medieval lit is a very real connection to the past, and this is my chance to study the past in its natural environment, if that makes sense. also, i live in iowa, which has cornfields. in bangor, i would be just a few miles from beaches, mountains, and castles. london and sydney were other options, but i didnt want to go to a "touristy" place to study. i wanted to go somewhere where i could really experience the culture and people instead of just the place.

and apparantly, bangor has a good football team!

• Members

London is a stupidly expensive place to study as well...

What sort of basses do you like, I could organise something for you that you can pick up when you arrive in the uk? I'm guessing you will want something that will get the job done as opposed to flagrant extravagance!

• Members

LOL! We did have a booze buster for a while in a town near me, now it's called Cellar 5 or some pansy ass {censored}...

That was a highlight of my day in Wales. The lowlight was when the dickhead at the ferry port wouldn't let me bring the beer I bought there back on the ferry. You've never seen 3 people drink 12 tall cans so fast in your life.:D

C7

• Members

why not? im an english lit major, with an emphasis on medieval lit. studying in wales will give me a chance to see what the medieval authors saw and hopefully make the text more alive. the welsh language is also very intriguing to me, since it is a direct ancestor of our modern english. studying medieval lit is a very real connection to the past, and this is my chance to study the past in its natural environment, if that makes sense. also, i live in iowa, which has cornfields. in bangor, i would be just a few miles from beaches, mountains, and castles. london and sydney were other options, but i didnt want to go to a "touristy" place to study. i wanted to go somewhere where i could really experience the culture and people instead of just the place.

and apparantly, bangor has a good football team!

Woah ... Medieval Welsh is NOT a direct ancestor of Modern English. It's a completely different language family entirely (Welsh is Celtic, English is Germanic)

I think you're getting confused. Brythonic languages were spoken throughout the British mainland before the arrival of the Romans (with the possible exception of the north of Scotland and parts of the South inhabited by continental Celtic speaking Belgae) but the English we speak today is largely derived from Germanic peoples who settled 400-1000 AD

The only thing Medieval Welsh is an ancestor to is Modern Welsh and various emigrant dialects (Patagonian Welsh etc...). It is closely related to other Brythonic Celtic tongues like Cornish and Breton.

• Members

i've spent a considerable amount of time in that corner of Wales. it's a beautiful place full of very friendly people. stunning countryside, great walking/hiking, castles, Portmerion, sheep...ah the memories.

there's a great pub on Anglesey called the Gazelle on the Menai Straight, between Meani Bridge and Beaumaris. great views looking back towards Snowdonia.

• CMS Author

i've spent a considerable amount of time in that corner of Wales. it's a beautiful place full of very friendly people. stunning countryside, great walking/hiking, castles, Portmerion, sheep...ah the memories.

there's a great pub on Anglesey called the Gazelle on the Menai Straight, between Meani Bridge and Beaumaris. great views looking back towards Snowdonia.

As a kid I visited the area one summer, and when we were in Portmerion I can remember being very frightened...the TV show "The Prisoner" was popular at the time, and I kept thinking that clear blob thing was going to come across the water and take me away......:eek:

*and 95% of the forum won't have a clue what I'm on about......

• Members

True. If you like castles and ancient villages, snow capped mountains, steep valleys, and SHEEP, then NW Wales is for you. Be sure to visit Conwy & Caernarfon. Oh, and Anglesey - a really magical place. As a scouser (a person from Liverpool) I spent many a summer in Wales as a kid.

I would find it great for a while and then f*cking boring because I'm a 20-something city dweller, but there ya go ...

• Members

Woah ... Medieval Welsh is NOT a direct ancestor of Modern English. It's a completely different language family entirely (Welsh is Celtic, English is Germanic)

I think you're getting confused. Brythonic languages
were
spoken throughout the British mainland before the arrival of the Romans (with the possible exception of the north of Scotland and parts of the South inhabited by continental Celtic speaking Belgae) but the English we speak today is largely derived from Germanic peoples who settled 400-1000 AD

The only thing Medieval Welsh is an ancestor to is Modern Welsh and various emigrant dialects (Patagonian Welsh etc...). It is closely related to other Brythonic Celtic tongues like Cornish and Breton.

That's what I meant, I just couldn't be bothered to type it all up.

Modern English = Anglosaxon + French + some other bits.

• Members

That's what I meant, I just couldn't be bothered to type it all up.

Modern English = Anglosaxon + French + some other bits.

Yep ...

Low Germanic dialects of NW Germany, Holland, Flanders & Jutland (Anglo-Saxon - the basis of English) + some Old Norse picked up 800-1000 AD + some Norman-French / Old French 1100-1400 AD + Latin & Greek borrowings (renaissance onwards, but some words like 'street' date back to Roman times)= modern English.

Despite the (mainly Romance) borrowings, English is most definitely a Germanic language. 85% of the words used in common parlance are Germanic.

Celtic words remaining in English are very, very few. Most are later borrowings from Irish (which is a Goidelic Celtic language)

• Members

Yep, I'm about 20mins drive from Bangor in Old Colwyn.

Some bits are nice, but a lot of it is a {censored} hole. If you live here, you will find that out.

Also, if you drive, you will have Richard Brunstrom on your ass everywhere you go, the Chief Constable of North Wales Police. Google his name and you will find out some of the {censored} he does.

Ther are some greatlakes and mountains and all of that as the others have mentioned but I've live here all my life and all that is like 'yeah, so what?'

When I go to the city tho', {censored} its well good, I do find tho', after I spend a day in the city, then go home, the air is much cleaner and fresher, and I feel as tho' I haven't showered for a week or two:freak:

Oh, bring sunblock, an umbrella, and a big fat coat because it is too hot in the summer and you always get sunburnt and its too cold in the winter and it rains all the time, and I'm not joking!

edit;

I hope you like scousers too because we get hundreds of the bastards swarming around everywhere in the summer.

Archived