PA speaker help needed.

james on bass

• Members

My band's PA has a problem. We continually blow the horns out of our mains and it's costing a lot of money and time. I don't know much about PAs so I'm asking for some help here from the experts (that'd be you guys in case you were wondering).

We have 2 Peavey SP4 mains (2x15 + horn) on top of 2 18" subs. The mains, subs and monitors each have their own power amps. Do you think it's a matter of the way we EQ, or could it have something to do with the settings of the crossover?

Any help would be appreciated. The guys are looking to buy a new PA system because of the problem and I want to rule out something simple first.

• Members

They should have sound guard tweeter protection built in such that a bulb blows before the horn does. It's possible that someone has jumped out the bulb, it happens. Those bulbs also dissipate excess power going to the horns to further protect the drivers.

I'd check the circuitry and make sure that crossover is right.

• Members

Powering up - board and all periperals on first. amps last, and pot them up slowly.

Powering down - pot amps down, turn them off, wait a minute THEN turn off board and peripherals.

The reason you do it this way is that turning your board or peripherals on or off while your amps are powered up can send a DC thump through the system and fry your drivers.

• Members

Powering up - board and all periperals on first. amps last, and pot them up slowly.

Powering down - pot amps down, turn them off, wait a minute THEN turn off board and peripherals.

The reason you do it this way is that turning your board or peripherals on or off while your amps are powered up can send a DC thump through the system and fry your drivers.

Agreed on all counts...

- georgestrings

• CMS Author

It would really help to know what amps are being used here, and how they're connected (bridged-mono, two speakers on one amp, etc). And are any of the amps' clip lights coming on at all?

If you're clipping anywhere in the system, the HF drivers are the most likely to suffer. Clipping produces harmonics that can be well above the power level the drivers can handle, and the bulb protection won't always help here.....as you're seeing. This could be something as seemingly innocent and unrelated as a kick mic channel clipping because the gain is too high.

But first let's get the amp specs and start there.

• Members

With a rig this size, maybe you should use an active crossover for the horns?

I've heard that most cabinet passive crossovers are inadequate for high power PA rigs. At least, all of the sound gurus I've ever talked to swear by 3-way crossovers. My knowledge of the subject is cursory at best, but I've heard numbers like 5khz for high freq is better than typical cabinet settings of 3khz or 3.5khz.

(Edit: I thought about this, and I am not sure I am not mixing up my horn frequencies with those for a bass rig, so it might not be xover frequencies that are the problem so much as what the dude below me here posted about not having enough horns.).

I'm just parroting the sound guy gibberish I've heard so I might be off base.

• Members

You've got 3 low frequency drivers per side vs. 1 horn that probably has to cover everything over 1.5k . In order to balance out against all that low information, you might be asking more of your drivers than they can deliver.

The answer would be beefier drivers or additional hornage.

I just checked the specs - the internal crossover is 1.8k.

If it's not the powering up issue, have a pro look at it. There has to be a reason for blowing drivers.

• Members

2 X 15 PA speakers have a reputation (on the sound reinforcement forum) for being muddy - and you have subs to boot. Also sounds like you play loud.

1) turn down.

2) ditch the 2X15 and get 1X15

3) get another horn unit to supplement these.

fwiw - I have heard one pair of PV 2 X15 PA cabs and yes, I thought they were lacking in high end.

cheers

C

Archived