My new no-name Beatle Bass

seilerbird

• Members

photo?authkey=M_y-1HLkmMU#51650638384265

I have been playing guitar since the Beatles inspired me to pick one up in 1965, but I have never owned a bass until last week. I decided it was time to learn and the only bass I considered was a Hofner copy. I picked this up on eBay for $99 brand new. I am absolutely amazed at how great this bass is. The finish is absolutely flawless. It holds tuning very well and the sound knocks my socks off. I bought a Crate 100 watt bass amp with a 15" speaker and the bottom end can rearrange the furniture. The intonation is not perfect, but acceptable. I still have a ways to go setting it up.

I have a question. I don't like the roundwound strings, I want to get a set of flatwounds (duh...) and I don't know what size or brand. Any recommendations?

• Members

photo?authkey=M_y-1HLkmMU#51650638384265

I have been playing guitar since the Beatles inspired me to pick one up in 1965, but I have never owned a bass until last week. I decided it was time to learn and the only bass I considered was a Hofner copy. I picked this up on eBay for $99 brand new. I am absolutely amazed at how great this bass is. The finish is absolutely flawless. It holds tuning very well and the sound knocks my socks off. I bought a Crate 100 watt bass amp with a 15" speaker and the bottom end can rearrange the furniture. The intonation is not perfect, but acceptable. I still have a ways to go setting it up.

I have a question. I don't like the roundwound strings, I want to get a set of flatwounds (duh...) and I don't know what size or brand. Any recommendations?

Best flatwounds bar none (IMHO) are by D'Addario. Feel great and sound even better, tons of warm thump!

Not sure though which length would fit your Beatle bass, is it a 34incher?

• Members

Best flatwounds bar none (IMHO) are by D'Addario. Feel great and sound even better, tons of warm thump!

Not sure though which length would fit your Beatle bass, is it a 34incher?

No, it is a 30". That is one of the main reasons I wanted it. I have small hands.

• Members

You'll need medium scale strings even though it's short scale. I use Rotosound RS77 Jazz flats on mine.

And why not Rotosound RS77S Short Scale Jazz Bass Strings, since they are made for short scale?

Because they're too short. The distance to the tailpiece requires extra length. See where the silk is on my #4 string?

• Members

Comparing the photos here it looks like the bass I bought is a Rouge without the headstock logo. Everything else looks identical.

What is the point of a zero fret?

A zero fret is a fret that starts the scale lenght or "working" end of the strings, it gives the open strings a sound of them being fretted (almost) the nut on zero fret guitars serves only to keep the strings from sliding back and forth.

A zero fret can be seen here right below the nut.

IMG_0506.jpg

• CMS Author

Comparing the photos here it looks like the bass I bought is a Rouge without the headstock logo. Everything else looks identical.

What is the point of a zero fret?

Well, Fran explained it well. In the case of Macca, well, he seems to have an affinity for 'em, as his Ric also had one. Woulda been custom too. Must be nice, I guess you can do that sorta thing when you're, like, a Beatle....

• Members

Rogues have flame tops/backs. Yours has a plain top like a Jay Turser.

You are correct. Amazingly I was looking at the hardware and I never noticed the body. I have no clue who made this thing. There is name anywhere. I bought it brand new in a never been opened box and there was no writing on the box. It did have a made in China sticker on it. But in the end it doesn't matter to me who made it. I am in serious love with this thing and it won't be up for sale until I am in a casket.

Archived