Opinions on Samick basses?

Conformer

• Members

I tried a couple out in a store today, just to see how they played. Years ago I had a Samick P-Bass copy and it was ok.

Anyway I tried one of their 5 string models and it played so-so, had treble cut/boot and bass cut/boot, with two volumes. PU's unknown?

Anyway it played alright, but they wanted $650 dollars for that thing. I can justify $300 for it. It played like a $300 dollar bass not $700 dollar bass. The tone was so-so, the wood felt kinda cheap, and the action and sustain were ok nothing to write home about.

I have played $250 dollar Iby's and $400 Peavey 5er's that would smoke this thing. Since when did Samick's start costing so much, and why?

Whats ya'lls opinion on the Samick line of bass guitars?

• Members

they probably raised their suggested retail price due to all the other off brands they make comming into the market. or the store is really hurtin. i did play one of their top of the line guitars once and it was actually pretty nice but not over $400 nice. did the bass at least make "expensive noises" ?

• Members

I had a GB designed dual pickup Royale hollowbody that I strung with tapewounds and played the hell out of... for two weeks. :p

It was a super one-trick-pony. 300ish out the door, not worth it at all, to be honest. It was an infatuation that ended rather quickly. Haven't played anything else labeled as Samick, though.

• Members

Ive only tried the Greg Bennett series basses, not bad at all, not flashy but dependable, worth modding with a leo quan bridge and some new pickups.

Doesn't Samick make Epi's and Corts in thier factories?

They have made Epis for years, I think they still are. Cort is a completely different brand.

My Peavey Millennium BXP was made in Samick's Indonesian factory.

For many years, maybe 15 or more (don't know for sure) Samick was the biggest guitar maker in the world. Cort passed them a few years ago but together I think the two put out over a million guitars annually. Most of us have played a Samick-made at some point.

• Members

I must say, the one who get that Samick artist 6 string on ebay, may count themself very, very lucky! This bass is deffinitivly better than its current price, and its obvious the person who's selling dont know what he got. These are basses that was 550 pund new.

I was plesantly suprised by this bass, as it is very solidly built, Tuners hold tune very well (I brought it back and forth to band practice 3 times, and didnt have to tune it..) it is a laminated neck, and the bass is (as i have been told) made out of mahogany. Nice and comfortable neck, very tight string spacing. and last but not least, great sound. so I'll say run for it!

• Members

I must say, the one who get that Samick artist 6 string on ebay, may count themself very, very lucky! This bass is deffinitivly better than its current price, and its obvious the person who's selling dont know what he got. These are basses that was 550 pund new.

I was plesantly suprised by this bass, as it is very solidly built, Tuners hold tune very well (I brought it back and forth to band practice 3 times, and didnt have to tune it..) it is a laminated neck, and the bass is (as i have been told) made out of mahogany. Nice and comfortable neck, very tight string spacing. and last but not least, great sound. so I'll say run for it!

Welcome to the forum :thu:

• Members

I played in a band in 97~98 with a guy that had Samick Strat copy. POS.

I played guitar in a one-off oldies review at my in-laws' church a couple of years ago. The bassist had a 5-string Samick Jazz copy. Sounded pretty good. The B had lots of definition. Surprised me after the previously mentioned experience and the crappy ones I'd seen at a local store.

• Members

I've got a Samick Greg Bennett P that I defretted. I like it a lot. Paid $80 used at GC. They also had a Squire for a bit more money that I tried to like because I recognised the name. The Samick felt better to me though.

I saw another Greg Bennett at a pawn shop with a bad bend in the neck for $150.

The only thing I don't like about mine is the sunburst job. The shading and/or color or something. No sir, I don't like it.

EDIT: And also the frets didn't seem to be seated well. That was a plus for me because I was going to yank them out anyway.

• Members

It totally depends, because Samick has made a wide spectrum of guitars throughout the years, both under their own name and for other brands. I've played POS $50 strat copies from them, and I've also played some really, really awesome instruments. You can get it all, from near pro level gear to worthless junk.

Samick was the largest guitar manufacturer in the world for a long time, just recently having been edged out by Cort. They used to make all the Korean-made Epiphones like the Les Paul Standard and Custom as well as the hollowbodies. I know Gibson moved more of the Epiphone production to China recently, but I don't know if they're still affiliated with Samick. In any case, there was a time when most of the "Made in Korea" guitars were being built by Samick, regardless of what name it said on the headstock.

I like to think of Samick (and now Cort as well) as a large OEM manufacturer, just like Eminence. They make stuff under their own name, but they also build a ton of other stuff to the specs of different companies who have contracted them out. Just like Eminence, product design and quality runs the gamut from cheap and disposable to professional.

I remember when Samick had some sort of affiliation with Valley Arts guitars. They put out some really nice instruments under that partnership. Some of the Greg Bennett stuff is also very nice.

• Members

This is the 6 I was talking about:

3844_1.JPG

There is a Yammy TRB6 on ebay as well I like:

5892_12.JPG

But it will blatantly sell for 3 or 4 times as much, need to try a 6 string before invest and if I do... bongo 6 babeh
:love:

Local used music shop had one of those Yammy's. It was a sweet sixer, and I still kick my own ass for not buying it.

Archived