OT: Computer question - spyware/malware/adware/viruses!

venturawest

• Members

so i just got a new laptop after my beloved ibm from 2002 finally gave out. (guess what i replaced it with? another ibm t-series).

in any event, i need to put the toughest, best anti-spyware/malware/adware and antivirus software on it. it's running windows XP. it came with norton installed, but i heard that's pretty bad and should be removed.

what do y'all recommend? i was thinking of webroot spy-sweeper and antivirus after doing some homework. curious to hear everyone's opinion.

thanks,

the bionic man.

• Members

the toughest, best anti-spyware/malware/adware and antivirus software on it.

I'm always curious as to what people are doing that they need such protection.

I've been running Windows since 1991 and never had problems. I put AV and anti-spyware on for about 6 months (a few years ago) and had major issues with spyware/etc. I formated, remove the AV/anti-spyware... never had a problem since.

• Members

Trend for your antivirus and SpySweeper for your antispyware. And common sense.

People ask me all the time what they should use, and that's what we use here at work (and virus/spyware removal is my job). There are lots of things SpySweeper won't or can't remove, but those things typically require specialized tools to remove. Those two, combined with common sense, should be all you need.

I've been running Windows since 1991 and never had problems. I put AV and anti-spyware on for about 6 months (a few years ago) and had major issues with spyware/etc. I formated, remove the AV/anti-spyware... never had a problem since.

Most likely, if you're just using the computer for regular everyday stuff, you won't run into a problem. However, there are viruses and spyware that can take over the computer without you actually having clicked on anything, just from being online. Anyone who deals with this stuff will shudder when you mention the MSBlast infection that went around a few years ago. Anyone online was susceptible to it who hadn't patched their system, and nobody had patched their system because they didn't know about it. 60 seconds later your computer would shut down, which didn't give you enough time to download the patch! A fresh install of Windows hooked up to a cable or DSL connection would infect itself sometimes within seconds. There have been other particularly nasty ones which displayed no symptoms at all but would allow the computer to be used as a zombie system in a Denial of Service attack (one major one hit the news about a year ago, though it wasn't entirely effective).

Not running antivirus and antispyware programs, you won't see any of that stuff. It might look like things are running great. But you don't know for sure, and by the time you do find out you're looking at an expensive trip to the computer shop instead of having just gotten the software to begin with!

• Members

That trendmicro is a pain in the ass, then again i've only seen it on corporate computers that were passworded (of course) by the installer, effectively rendering Trend to just keep popping up with the same (finds) in it every time you use the computer; i guess the original installer has to be the one to work with it. Like i said PITA!!! :mad:

• Members

The reason I like AVG is it doesn't weigh heavily on the system resources. Others like Norton and McAfee use a lot of resources and seem to always include (poor)spam protection, (problematic)firewalls, (useless)privacy services, all kinds of things that you don't use and don't work well anyway. Spysweeper is like a ton of bricks.

• Members

Most likely, if you're just using the computer for regular everyday stuff, you won't run into a problem. However, there are viruses and spyware that can take over the computer without you actually having clicked on anything, just from being online.

I do quite a bit more than that. But I suppose I have the advantage of knowing exactly what the potential dangers are.

Anyone who deals with this stuff will shudder when you mention the MSBlast infection that went around a few years ago.

I remember the Blaster quite well. I was doing network & server administration for two different companies at the time. It wasn't entirely fun... but I was able to get the fix for it relatively quickly. By then, it was just a matter of putting the floppy in each server and patching it. In that respect, I've dealt with a lot worse at work. Just not at home.

It might look like things are running great. But you don't know for sure, and by the time you do find out you're looking at an expensive trip to the computer shop instead of having just gotten the software to begin with!

True. And like I said, it does help knowing enough that I don't have problems. I've only run across one Malware that I couldn't clean manually. And my machine was infected by it from letting someone else use my computer.

• Members

I remember the Blaster quite well. I was doing network & server administration for two different companies at the time. It wasn't entirely fun... but I was able to get the fix for it relatively quickly. By then, it was just a matter of putting the floppy in each server and patching it. In that respect, I've dealt with a lot worse at work. Just not at home.

Yeah, doing administration I imagine it wasn't a big deal once you got the patch. It's not that it was particularly difficult to clean, but I run a computer store and we're really the only ones worth anything in the area. We're typically backlogged to a 24-to-48-hour return time, with seven or eight systems in line at any given point. I'd say within a week of Blaster, we had over a hundred systems extending the entire length of our showroom to work on. It was a nightmare because we have limited space here (I've only got four benches to work on, and I can only do so much at once!), and we were backed up for repairs for well over a week, pissing off our regular customers who didn't have the problem!

Made an ass-ton of money for a while though. Can't wait for the next one.

I wish they were still so easy to clean, too. Nowadays you get a computer in with one of the Vundo variants, Smitfraud, or WinAnti*, and it's a several hour job just to clean the system!

• Members

My ISP is terrible and I'm subject to frequent attacks on my laptop. That's why I have all that {censored}. I learned from experience.

Plus one of my brothers recommended most of those programs to me and he's been in IT for well over 10 years and seriously knows his {censored}!

• Members

NOD32 for AV: Not free, but extremely effective, very light, and very fast. It does spyware, too. Overall, it's probably the best AV program out there. Get the trial version and see how you like it.

www.eset.com

I don't like Trend Micro stuff-it just isn't as effective as equally positioned products from other companies, if the studies I've read are to be believed.

CCleaner isn't necessary if you just clear your Internet cache from time to time using the browser interface. That's all a typical user should be doing with it.

• Members

I use an Apple Mac - although I know a fair bit about computers, I don't know anything this Spyware stuff. I have a website (link is in my sig ...'my place') and on one page I put an e-mail link for queries - that message would go to an 'info' type address I set up which would to auto-respond to any query with a template message eg, ' Dear (your e-mail), thanks for inquiring, if you would like to find out more about learning bass, e-mail my personal address xxxx etc'

I thought it might create a buffer zone - instead of putting my personal address, the 'info' auto-response would weed out the crap. But instead, people who hadn't even been to my site started getting the Auto-Response. I put a message on my site that it was happening, and I was sorry and try to find out why it was happening. For now I've just turned it off.

So, to cut a long question short, do these 'Spyware' programs help in this sort of situation? If you know a lot, feel free to PM me.

p.s - I'm ok about Virus software ....anyone with a Mac is virtually already immunised.

• Members

I thought it might create a buffer zone - instead of putting my personal address, the 'info' auto-response would weed out the crap. But instead, people who hadn't even been to my site started getting the Auto-Response. I put a message on my site that it was happening, and I was sorry and try to find out why it was happening. For now I've just turned it off.

You have to put the auto responder in the script for the mailer form. Even then it's a pain in the a$$. I had one on my Dad's companies website and it was more hassle than it was worth.

• Members

So, to cut a long question short, do these 'Spyware' programs help in this sort of situation? If you know a lot, feel free to PM me.

No, they won't.

edit: VH famous number postcount woo

Archived