Scale shapes

seraphim7s

• Members

On my four string (and I think it is unlikely I will ever get a bass with more strings than 5) I can do 8ve +4th or 8ve +5th major scales without a position shift, but I was thinking, it would be nice to have a good method worked out to manage 2 8ve or 2 8ve +3rd (or more!) scales.

Obviously one or more position shifts are required. The question is: where? How can one work it out so that you can move swiftly and ergonomically through, say, 2 octaves and a fifth of the scale of G major (covering nearly all of a 20 fret bass) with the smoothest position shifts possible?

Any answers? Bassius?

• Members

2 position shifts after the initial scale. Practice it and you'll see.

Okay the question is where are the position shifts. I'm looking at my fretboard and there are many possible permutations. I am trying to find out the smoothest, most ergonomic one.

• Members

Okay the question is
where
are the position shifts. I'm looking at my fretboard and there are many possible permutations. I am trying to find out the smoothest, most ergonomic one.

That'll depend on your fingering. If you end the scale with your little finger on a note you can start the next with your index finger in an easier transition.

• Members

Well, yeah ... that's kind of the point I've made - that there are mulitple possibilities in where one places the position shift.

What I am asking is ... what's the smoothest, most ergonomic way to do it.

I mean I could play an E major scale:

0-2-4-5-7-9-11-12

But no one would argue that that was the 'smoothest, most ergonomic' way to do it - remaining on a single string.

The usual accepted way of playing a (G) major scale is something like:

G 2 4 5

D 2 3 5

A 2 3 5

E 3 5

(I cannot get the above to work properly on this site - but I think you can get the idea)

Where I have extended it by a fourth. What I am asking is: is there an accepted, uniform way that one performs an extended scale (eg 2 8ve + 5th)?

Man, this is proving hard work! Am I being very unclear?

• Members

If you think in patterns or boxes or shapes your playing imo will end up un-musical and you'll take a long time to unlearn those bad habits.

Aha...it's in the approach that leads to an outcome.

True, if you practice scales for a musical playing style it wont work; on the otherhand if you practice those same scales the same exact way, yet use your mindset that it's a fingering exercise...viola you kill 2 birds with one stone.

1) you'll get the scales locked in your head

2) you'll get the added benefit of complex fingering positions and patterns

• Members

Sometimes what's most convenient isn't the best sounding.

You should know, use, and practice scales verticle and horizontal.

Yup - I agree with both of these knuckleheads..Especially because, even though the diatonic "shapes" are the same from key to key, the relative 'patterns' for the keys of Bb through Eb are going to be a whole different mindset than the keys of E through A ( Im sure that you know this, Im just reminding of the obvious)...Rowka's statement is indeed accurate, especially when combined with Fran Da Man's point

• Members

Okay the question is
where
are the position shifts. I'm looking at my fretboard and there are many possible permutations. I am trying to find out the smoothest, most ergonomic one.

my guess is 3rd fret E then a smooth move to 10th fret A to do a G/G''

you dont have to cross the board to much and dont need a 5

• Members

what am i chopped liver?!?!?!

ONE SHIFT DAMN IT!

that is one shift...isnt it??:freak:

start at G on the E strring ..standard fingering till you reach F# on the D string

move to G' on the A string..standard fingering up to G'' on the G string

that second position i go for a lot...its up the neck but not too far

Archived