Bass for a nice kid.

valentsgrif

• Members

My Guitar Hero playing oldest son, a decent piano student, now wants to try bass guitar. I don't know anything about bass, but my expierence with the 6 string guitar tells me that its easier to learn on an instrument that fits, is comfortable and has a good feel.

He is 15 years old, of average size and is ok with a lower priced instrument ($299 or under) or used. I would think he'd be best served with something on the lighter side, and perhaps a short scale.......but I could be wrong. What you think?

• Members

Dunno. I started playing bass at around age 13. I was maybe 6' tall and 145 lbs. tops. I started off on a full-scale (34") bass. There's no compelling reason to start off on a short-scale instrument unless you're dealing with someone exceptionally small for their age.

I would just pick up a Fender Precision or Fender Jazz type bass. Look into SX (from RondoMusic.com) and the Squier Vintage Modified series. If you're willing to go used, a Made in Mexico ("MIM") or Crafted in Japan ("CIJ") Fender is tough to beat for the money. I would also seriously consider a used G&L Tribute if you can find one in the ~$300 range.

• Members

Whats the difference between a Jazz or a Precision as far as weight and neck size/width/radius?

They both have the same scale and similar hardware. The Jazz neck is slimmer in both dimensions (front-to-back and side-to-side). The Precision neck is thicker and on the chunky side. The Jazz neck feels much more delicate in the hands. The Jazz body is a bit more ergonomic in my hands.

As for sounds, the Precision will give you that classic, "thumpy" rock'n'roll sound. The Jazz will give you a more snappy, nasal, "twangy" sound many people associate with funk. The Jazz is a bit more versatile, whereas the Precision is more of a one-trick-pony...but it's a good trick that works in most contexts.

Really, it's down to personal preference. You can't go wrong either way.

• Members

Whatever gauge is on should be OK, so long as its set up with a fairly light action. Really, 45-100 gauge sets should be good for him starting out. Wait until he develops preference to get into other gauges/action.

I would also suggest taking a look at Cort's Action 4 bass if you have a local dealer. Its just another one to add to the pile of possibles.

• Members

Goto the store and get a used bass, you can get a decent used bass for that price.

I think you would just be hurting him once he trys to move to the bigger scale because it would be bigger and possibly harder. After learning something one way, its hard to transform to something else. Just go with a regular setup.

Archived