The Official First Review of the PMPJ Cabinet

mlwarriner

• Members

OK, a more thorough, in-depth review.

I dragged the BurdiWarriner 16x5 PMPJ (Poor Man's Phil Jones) cabinet out to practice today. Was thinking it'd be a full-on practice, but the drummer is still in Vegas, and the singer just didn't show up. So it was me and the regular guitarist training up our new second guitarist on the material.

Ahh well.

Plugged everything in, turned on and tuned up. I left my GK head set the same as I'd had it for the last gig we played (no PA support for anything but vox). So it was up fairly loud, but not insane.

Kicked off the mute switch and started noodling. Damn. Loud loud loud. With the GK at about 11:00 on volume, drive and woofer, this thing was brutally loud. As in, "can't stand within 5 feet" loud.

I'll admit, I was a little skeptical at first (and even up until today) about drivers this small being able to go this low...

Dinner time, more later.

• Members

ok. here's more.

i don't play a low-b bass, but my band does play in drop-c tuning (CGCF on my ESP, CGCFA on the MTD)

This cab goes deeper, easier, louder and fuller than my GK 4x10, 1x15 stack did. By far. It seems to be pretty even-responding all the way across the soundrange of my basses, from the lowest of the low to waaaaay up on the skinny strings. I did have to do some fiddling with the settings on the GK, but that was something I needed to do anyhow. I wasn't quite happy with the way it sounded before.

These 5" drivers are awesome. The lows were clear and not muddy, the highs were clean without being brittle or shrill. It plays very nice with my pedal board (Gutter-modded TS9 clone, headrush, boss bass flanger and digitech bass chorus).

And I seriously had to back way down on the output volume of my head. Especially with the ESP (that's a damned hot bass now...).

I would easily stack this up against any Ampeg 8x10 I've ever played on, and pretty much any other cabs I've ever used. It blows the {censored} out of anything else I can remember owning, ever.

Burdi - you designed a winner. We came in somewhere around $400 total in the end, and if I had even the slightest need, I'd order another one today.

fo' rizzle.

• Members

Does he ship overseas?

:D

actually, the shipping thing worked out pretty well. burdi did all of the wood work, and then shipped the cab parts to me flat/unassembled. i don't recall what he said shipping was actually, but i can't imagine it was much, compared to what it would have been on an assembled cabinet.

• Members

actually, the shipping thing worked out pretty well. burdi did all of the wood work, and then shipped the cab parts to me flat/unassembled. i don't recall what he said shipping was actually, but i can't imagine it was much, compared to what it would have been on an assembled cabinet.

50 pounds on a nearly oversized box wasn't cheap. I think it cost $35 to ship it parcel post to you, I sent the box o' goodies priority for less than half as much.

• Members

50 pounds on a nearly oversized box wasn't cheap. I think it cost $35 to ship it parcel post to you, I sent the box o' goodies priority for less than half as much.

i was thinking more as it would have compared to sending the cabinet assembled...

:blah::poke:

• Members

DSCF1752.jpg

the only thing this cabinet needs coupled with is someone who can play well enough to make it sound like it deserves to sound
:(

Something that petite needs to rest on top of something more substantial. To give it balance.

:)

Archived