OT: Books You'd Like to See Movie-fied

blueyedmule

• Members

I'd like to see some of Terry Brooks' books made into movies. Sword of Shannara would be cool. Too much like Tolkein though.

A Confederacy of Dunces I think would be a great movie. Apparently it's been tried, or proposed, or something.

Jitterbug Perfume - I think it'd make a way better movie than Cowgirls.

Dandelion Wine - Great book. Maybe they already made a movie of it. I haven't seen it if they did.

Peter and the Starcatchers - I bet this is made sometime soon.

Portnoy's Complaint - I want to see who gets to play The Monkey.

My wife is currently reading the John Adams book, she says the book is way better than the movie. Duh. I told her that's almost always the case. The only exception I could think of was Debbie Does Dallas.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Poor No-guts.

I still haven't read Invisible Monsters, but Survivor and Choke are two brilliant hilarious books.

Yes! St Gutfree (or whatever Chuck called him). That may have been one of the single most disturbing chapters I've ever read in a book. I read it to my band mates one time on the road on tour. They thought I was reading them a funny story...it quickly got ugly. You should have seen them squirm when I got to the candle wax part. :lol:

• Members

My wife is currently reading the
John Adams
book, she says the book is way better than the movie. Duh. I told her that's almost always the case. The only exception I could think of was
Debbie Does Dallas

I've been watching this series but it's been a major let down. So much of his life story has been cut out. I think the acting is pretty good, but MAJOR chunks of time are just gone. I haven't read the book, but I think I'd like to now just to fill in all the blanks. That's what I mean from my last post -- the books have the time to go into every detail.

• Members

I think Asimov's science fiction would go well on the screen nowadays. Foundation is one of my favorite series and I really think that with today's FX technology and a script ripped right out of the book it'd be very good.

I saw one of his short stories turned into a "Twilight Zone" type of TV show episode, (Outer Limits? Ray Bradbury Theater?), with David Ogden Steers. It was about a man caught out alone after curfew, and being picked up by a flying robotic police cab. In the TV episode, they had him with a second person who stayed behind, but they did it to have a foil for all of the man's internal thought dialog that did not translate well from writing.

• Members

My first choice, The Hobbit, is coming, I hear. So that's sort of off the list. My favorite comic book hero, Iron Man, is also on his way.

Sci-fi-wise, I always loved a book called Have Spacesuit Will Travel by Heinlein, and think it would be a good film.

So as not to be too OT here, how about a movie of Jaco's life? I'd see that.

• Members

A Series of films? The Dark Tower saga by Stephen King.

Both of these for sure. I think that the Tower saga could be a really sweet animated film series.

Also, I would put Harry Potter, but those are already taken care of.

• Members
Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash."

:cool:

I was thinking Cryptonomicon because it's my favorite book.
But yeah, Snow Crash would make a much better movie. :thu:

I'm half way through Zodiac and liking it quite a bit.
Also part way through Quicksilver, but it's tough going for me.

• Members

Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series

YEA!

It would have to be either a mini-series or a trilogy type thing, just too much ground to cover there. And so easy to become total cheese and be a disaster...

Too bad Clint Eastwood is so old, he would make a fantastic Roland.

Actually, what is the new Bond guys name? Daniel Craig? I think he would be good to as ol' long, tall and ugly.

I used to think Robin Williams would make a kick ass Blaine, but Kevin Spacey could do a good job too methinks.

• Members
"Dark Tower" series

and anything that's ever had zombies in it.. except CELL by Stephen King... that ending sucked!!!
:mad:

Lots of Kings endings "suck" I have just come to accept that fact, it's like he has these great ideas and runs out of steam by the time the ending comes around. :p

• Members
Besides King's The Dark Tower, I would also like to see Arthur C. Clarke's "Rendezvous With Rama" (actually, all the Rama books integrated)

BTW, Im at work again
:wave:

I was gonna say that and "Childhood's End."
And I hope they do "Ender's Game" justice.

• Members

+1

I was also thinking
Invisible Monsters
. Seems like I heard a rumor a few years ago they were trying to get that made. I guess it hasn't gotten far.
Haunted
also gets my vote, too. The swimming pool scene ought to sell some tickets.

One of my favorite books ("Haunted" and "Lullabye".) I love Palahniuk. I just picked up "Rant" but haven't have the chance to read it yet.

My vote goes to "How to Talk to a Widower" by Jonathon Tropper.

• Members

One of my favorite books ("Haunted" and "Lullabye".) I love Palahniuk. I just picked up "Rant" but haven't have the chance to read it yet.

My vote goes to "How to Talk to a Widower" by Jonathon Tropper.

Rant was a good read. Like all of his books, it's a sprint to the end. Some really interesting concepts and a few nice twists.

• Members
Lots of Kings endings "suck" I have just come to accept that fact, it's like he has these great ideas and runs out of steam by the time the ending comes around.
:p

I've always though King was brilliant right up to the end as well. The funniest story I heard was that he hated Kubrick's version of the Shining because the Hotel doesn't "blow up" in the end. IMNSHO, Kubrick saved the movie by changing that. :D

• Members

IMO, for a book to translate well to a movie it needs to have a fairly straightforward plot and be driven by good dialogue, not narration and inner monologues. Otherwise you wind up with Dune - a fantastic book, one of my all-time favorites, turned into a four-hour movie crammed full of dense storyline that still didn't come close to fitting in and explaining everything that needed to be conveyed for a successful story. Why do you think comic/graphic novel stories are making such good (relatively speaking) movies these days? Dialogue-driven, graphics already developed, storylines that can fit into a 90-minute movie...

Archived