Strobes on stage

cwatson

• Members

Basically a mate from another band has just asked me, if there is anyway in which he can have 3 stobes positioned on stage, but turn them on all simultaneously from say a footswitch so they can be turned on at exactly the right time in a song etc. Is there any way of kinda doing this on a budget, say modifying an extension lead by put a foot switch in the middle? I'd be a bit worried about wiring up to deal with mains if i were in his position. Any ideas/ products ?

• Members

Don't know of any, but keep in mind that you'll have to put a warning up on the door saying that there will be flashing lights.

We did that once at a gig when we were 16 and this kid in the crowd had an epileptic fit. His mum went bezerk and threatened to call the cops on us :( Although quite what he was doing at a gig where there would be flashing lights (of some sort anyway) is beyond me...

• Members

Yeah we're well aware of that, theres also a certain frequency that is particularly effective at setting off people with photosensitive epilepsy which your not supposed to use

I can't remember what it is off my head though

• Members

Yeah we're well aware of that, theres also a certain frequency that is particularly effective at setting off people with photosensitive epilepsy which your not supposed to use

I can't remember what it is off my head though

Just from what I know dealing with strobes on fire alarm systems, if the strobe lights are in sync with one another, they don't pose as much of a risk, and as such many jurisdictions require fire alarm strobes to be synchronized. However, when you're dealing with stage strobe effects, you have to take into account that you're going to play hell getting more than one light synchronized without a dedicated control unit, and even then, you're having to deal with oddball factors like reflections, which can cause a strobing effect to seem "out of phase", the same as being out of sync.

I personally can't handle strobe lights; I'm not epileptic, but I've fallen down at concerts where they used them. One second I'm watching the stage intently, the next second I'm on the ground. Weird...

C7

• Members

Punch SP/ST and DP/DT switches can be found at Radio Shack if you want to build one. Also, MBT makes a floor on/off contoller........but if you really want to go the "el-cheap-o" route, check Warehouse Closeout stores (like Big Lots) or eBay: What you are looking for is a zip extention cord (14 guage THHN - basically, a lamp cord-style) that has a footswitch or large punch switch built into it

It looks like this:

3971840_Detail.jpg

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/12-33-outdoor-extension-cords/stanley-tappermax-green-extension-cord-289140.aspx

- they are usually sold as a seasonal accessory (Christmas and Halloween are usually when you can find them), but Im almost sure an internet search would find one, although it will have to be a thorough search (theres a link to one above). Add a 3-way to the recepticle-end (if it doesnt have one) and you are good to go.......

• Members

I know a band from the UK called Devil Sold His Soul and they use strobes as part of their live show. Check out their myspace and drop them a message asking what they use.

i think using strobes can be really effective but the trick is not to over do it and make everyone feel sick.

• Members

Cheers guys, just the kinda thing I was looking for, as I said it not for my band but yeah. I have no idea how getting them synchronised would work unless there were three seperate outs from the discharge coil or however they work. With three seperate (budget units) I see this could pose a problem in terms of syncing. I suggested to the guy that maybe one good quality strobe would be enough rather than three POS strobes

Archived