A micro rig is looking better all the time...

james on bass

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Yep. PA is where it's at.

James on Bass. I had L1 go out and ended up having surgery. I understand the pain you are in very well. I hope you get the rest and treatment you need and recover quickly. The most rig I'll ever take is a Mesa 600 and the Genz Benz Neox-212T. It's very light and easy to maneuver. If you need anything more than that, the bandmates need to turn down.

I actually just came home from work, as it was bothering me too much. It's very strange in that since I first hurt my back 5 years ago and was off work for a few months, other than stiffness every morning since, I've never really had serious, debilitating pain in that time. I'm very unsure as to what I did that caused this flare up.

As for my current band - the stage volume is very acceptable and the PA, while not state of the art by any means, has enough power to handle bass duties. If I do go the route of the mini-rig, I'll just have to make sure I don't join another classic rock band that uses a small PA for vocals only. :rolleyes:

I'm almost thinking I could go the direct route with a Sansamp (or some other such DI) and a powered monitor for the bass signal.

• Moderators

I'm wondering if my new 212 will make you make the "ick" face...but since it's a 212 with a midrange, I don't think it will...but we shall see...

Do you know what 12" drivers he used? I assume the midrange is a B&C 6MDN44? It's a nice driver. I've had a chance to compare some in situ plots of that driver against the class leader and in real world use, there is nearly no observable difference. It's one of those situations where stepping away from the spec sheets shows that sometimes things are equal when unexpected.

The real question is whether it turned out to be the cabinet you were looking for. It sounds like it did.

• Members

Do you know what 12" drivers he used? I assume the midrange is a B&C 6MDN44? It's a nice driver. I've had a chance to compare some in situ plots of that driver against the class leader and in real world use, there is nearly no observable difference. It's one of those situations where stepping away from the spec sheets shows that sometimes things are equal when unexpected.

The real question is whether it turned out to be the cabinet you were looking for. It sounds like it did.

I didn't ask which drivers he used at all...and yes, it's more than what I was hoping for. Definitely. Has the tone my 215 has, in a smaller package...and honestly, I think it sounds better...

• Moderators

I didn't ask which drivers he used at all...and yes, it's more than what I was hoping for. Definitely. Has the tone my 215 has, in a smaller package...and honestly, I think it sounds better...

When I get my hands on it, I'll take a look under the hood. It is of no consequence other than personal curiosity. As long as it sounds and performs well, all is good.

• Members
When I get my hands on it, I'll take a look under the hood. It is of no consequence other than personal curiosity. As long as it sounds and performs well, all is good.

:love:

Oh wait...you mean the cab...right, right...uhhhh...hahahaha, jk.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind knowing what's in it, how the inside's built, all of that...I'm just too scared to look personally, I never have good luck with metal grills...

• Moderators
:love:

Oh wait...you mean the cab...right, right...uhhhh...hahahaha, jk.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind knowing what's in it, how the inside's built, all of that...I'm just too scared to look personally, I never have good luck with metal grills...

That's why you will let me operate the screw driver...

• Members

To be clear on the record, my ick comment is overstated for comedic effect. It wouldn't be my cabinet of choice, but I am more forgiving of variations in basses and amps than I am cabinets. I am used to my setups and when I plug in I have an expectation. Different isn't a bad thing, but it always throws me off on the first few notes. That's when the face is made.

Your Berg reminds me of many of the really nice Bag Ends in that there is a higher rolloff in the bass than I am used to. Sounds good in a mix, works very musically for nearly everyone (myself included), but it is something that stands out to my ears whether soloed or in a mix. The only other thing that stands out to me is the response in the upper midrange, lower treble range. Jim Bergantino is one of the premier cabinet designers in the game. He has chosen to address that region of the spectrum with a high quality tweeter crossed over sufficiently low so the bass driver has not completely fallen off. The alternative is to add in a mid driver. Neither is a perfect solution. In my experience there is a slightly different timbre depending on whether you are using a paper cone or one of Jim's bullet tweeters. You know from the cabinets I have, that is my personal preference is for three-way designs or tweeterless two-ways.

Thanks for your input. I know what your referring to with regards to the upper mid freqs. It's just a situation where it works for me, but not for you. That said, looking for something different, I've been eyeing the Acme 1x10 3-way, as I'm fond of your 2x10s, and the company in general.

From what I read, there is a sonic fingerprint with most of the small thru mid sized Berg cabs, starting with how Jim addresses those upper mids.

• Moderators
I actually just came home from work, as it was bothering me too much. It's very strange in that since I first hurt my back 5 years ago and was off work for a few months, other than stiffness every morning since, I've never really had serious, debilitating pain in that time. I'm very unsure as to what I did that caused this flare up.

As for my current band - the stage volume is very acceptable and the PA, while not state of the art by any means, has enough power to handle bass duties. If I do go the route of the mini-rig, I'll just have to make sure I don't join another classic rock band that uses a small PA for vocals only.
:rolleyes:

I'm almost thinking I could go the direct route with a Sansamp (or some other such DI) and a powered monitor for the bass signal.

Yep. The mini rig won't cut it with a vocal only PA in a decent sized venue, but you're on the right track. My back went out because I took a funny step on our deck. It was just a funny little jolt. I've been fine for 9 years now. I wouldn't wish lower back pain on anyone. Get some rest, mang.

• Moderators

From what I read, there is a sonic fingerprint with most of the small thru mid sized Berg cabs, starting with how Jim addresses those upper mids.

Once you develop a quality design, stick to it. Just ask Andy Lewis why he is still only offering the limited designs he does. (Try not to ask him how to design a quality crossover... you might not have the time to hear the answer.)

Archived