Blog: Today's Interview

Thunderbroom

• Members

If you're hoping to read about the crappy interview I had, move along.

:D

This morning I interviewed for a spot in an EdD program in Community College Leadership in downtown Chicago. I was interviewed by a two-person team/committee consisting of the program coordinator and one of the full-time faculty members.

Before the interview, I researched the relatively unknown university (National-Louis), researched my interviewers, and came prepared to kick ass. During the interview, I commented on the one professor's long military career and commented on how far the other lived from campus. They looked puzzled. I let them know that I did my homework and had read their vitae. I also told the program coordinator that I had remembered where she lived when she told me back in early January when I met her while she was at my school recruiting for this program.

After answering their questions, including one where one of the persons quoted me from an critique I'd submitted to them as part of the admissions process, they asked me if I had any questions/concerns.

My first question left them briefly speechless: "If I were to apply for a senior level adminstrator job at a community college in California upon completion of this program, will any one at that school have heard of your school and/or this program." They both answered with what I thought were very appropriate and correct answers. In other words, they weren't trying to blow smoke up my ass which I appreciate.

Sensing that I had done extremely well during the interview, I offered up my final question/concern: "According to all the documentation I have access to, candidates are interviewing this week. After July 1, candidates will be notified of their acceptance or rejection. You two know right now whether you like me or not. You know if I'm a good fit for the program. You know if you believe that I'll be successful in the program. I don't want to wait until July 1."

They looked at each other, nodded, and the the program coordinator said, "You'll be receiving your acceptance letter from me very soon. Congratulations!"

:cool:

On the downside, parking cost me $20 for about 2 hours.

:(

• Members

Way to go. Too cocky of an approach for me, perhaps, but well done. Thorough research is time well spent.

I consider myself confident (whether deserving or not). I certainly walked the cockiness tightrope. I think the two interviewers appreciated my no bs approach to the whole process. I'm sure they had folks trying to blow smoke us their butts today. I was not one of them. They will be selecting 12 - 15 people from a pool of who knows how many (could be 15...could be 150...could be more). All I know is that I have one of the slots secured.

:)

• Members

Congratulations!

Although I personally would be kinda creeped out if a person who I was interviewing knew where I lived.
:freak::o
:p

I agree; however, she's the one that mentioned where she lived to me months ago when I first met her.

On a related note, all of my students have my home phone number and my cell number. I'm in the phone book and surely can be found online by doing a reverse lookup on my phone number.

Archived