OT: Public transportation

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

I've been using it since January 1st. This summer I have biked to work most of the time. I'm more than happy to save the wear and tear (and expense) of driving my car in the city.

Depending on the type (bus vs. train) it can take longer and be inconvenient. But I'm also not willing to pay for a monthly parking space in downtown Chicago....

• Members

OKC is not good. Bus service in the city itself, but no good way to get from bedroom communities (like where I live) into town to work.

A "light rail" has been more in people's dreams than anything else. I wish there was a better way around this, but OKC is one of the more sprawling cities/towns/podunk population centers.

• Members

Our public transportation here is known as the "maid express"... it pretty much carries the maids from the poor neighborhood to the wealthy neighborhoods (buses), but covers a very limited area. Mostly the down town and surrounding neighborhoods.

• Members

Our public transportation here is known as the "maid express"... it pretty much carries the maids from the poor neighborhood to the wealthy neighborhoods (buses), but covers a very limited area. Mostly the down town and surrounding neighborhoods.

Yeah pretty much the same in San Diego. Except the busses do a good job of cover wide area, but they are EXTREMELY slow. It would be much faster if it were feasable to ride a bike to work.

Right now I can ride a bike to work, but do not have any space for a bike, and if I move there would be no reasonable way to ride a bike without using a bus or trolley.

• Members

I take it everyday and have been for the past 5 years. The downtown station is the end of the line so I can fall asleep and not worry about missing my stop. Its awesome being able to get a 45 min nap in every morning:thu:

• Members

I wish I could take it to work. But it would take nearly 4 hours round trip, compared to about 40 minutes round trip in my current driving/carpooling situation. When it was feasible (at my old job and living quarters), I took the bus to work, but currently my time is worth more to me than taking public transportation can save.

• Members

I support public transportation. In fact, I'd like most of the public to be transported as far away from me as possible!

:D

POTD

I currently take transit to work. In a car, traffic being average it's about a 20 minute drive. I walk 2 blocks to a bus, get on it for 75 minutes then walk 15 minutes to work from there. Yup, 90 minute commute each way for what a car can do in 20-25 tops.

• Members

I used to take the bus in Anchorage all the time because it is free for students and I didn't have a car or bike. But at an hour between buses, and 10 minute variance to actual arrival times, so you can actually miss the bus by being 5 minutes early, it's just not worth the time. I finally got a bike, and discovered you can beat the bus to any part of town on a bike most of the time.

Then, I bought my truck and now I'm getting fat.

• Members

When I've lived in big cities (Boston, Vancouver, Seattle, etc.) I always used public transportation, along with my bike. No way I'd ever even own a car then; not with all the parking hassles, traffic nightmares, expense, etc.

Anywhere else I always try to commute by bike as much as possible.

It's too bad that so many cities in the States/Canada have such lousy public transportation.

Years ago when I lived in Boston, my band used to go to gigs on the "T" (the local subway system there). It was always interesting - all the logistics of getting to/from gigs on the subway while carrying all our guitars, amps, and even drums. Yes, it would have been easier to have a van or something, but it wasn't necessary.

Archived