tapewound vs flatwound

poomwah

• Members

This came with LaBella black tapes on it, and I've decided that's the only kind that will ever touch it:

fc_1_b.JPG

I like the look, but it's more about the sound - dark but still very mwah-ey. Different than any flats I've ever tried.

• Members

This came with LaBella black tapes on it, and I've decided that's the only kind that will ever touch it:

fc_1_b.JPG

I like the look, but it's more about the sound - dark but still very mwah-ey. Different than any flats I've ever tried.

I have those on my fretted Jazz, I prefer them to flats. Very nice on the fingers, easy to play and sound great. They've got weird sound thats hard to describe but I like it. :idk:

Kinda like flats with more definition? :confused:

• Members

i dont know what type of pick up the hollow bod has , but.....

i love tape wounds through a magnetic pick up. the best, IMO.( for me)

but through a piezo i would go for a flat wound string set. a little bit to much of a click comes through with tapes on a piezo.

I've heard that you can get unwanted noise (amp hum) with Tapewounds, but I've never used them personally, so I could be wrong.

ground hum. never had a prob my self with that

• Members

If I get a semi hollow, the goal will be to make it sound as close as it can to the sound of an upright.

Yes. Tapes for sure.

Wasn't Abbey Road pretty much all a Ric with Rotosound tapes? Lots of smooth, high mids.

The only tapes I have tried and didn't like were the Fender tapes. They have a very bumpy texture, and I got more fret clank than usual. I liked Rotos and GHS tapes the best.

• Members

I've heard that you can get unwanted noise (amp hum) with Tapewounds, but I've never used them personally, so I could be wrong.

Some basses require you to be touching the strings to ground the bass correctly. If you have one of these, tapes will be an issue.

• Members

Some basses require you to be touching the strings to ground the bass correctly. If you have one of these, tapes will be an issue.

No.

When you touch the strings, you are grounding YOU.

You are insulated unless you ground yourself by touching something that is grounded.

The bass is already grounded. The metal strings act as an antenna that picks up YOUR electrical noise. By touching the strings, you have grounded yourself and removed the source of the electrical noise.

• Members

No.

When you touch the strings, you are grounding YOU.

You are insulated unless you ground yourself by touching something that is grounded.

The bass is already grounded. The metal strings act as an antenna that picks up YOUR electrical noise. By touching the strings, you have grounded yourself and removed the source of the electrical noise.

This really requires it's own thread... sorry for the hijack :(

• Members

Greetings from the North,

I've had LaBella tapes on my Reverend Brad Houser since new. Check out http://www.bezhig.com" and go to the music section. Click on the Change Your Ways album and give a listen to 'Change Your Ways' 'Bunker' & 'So Many Know' for a variety of Tape Wound sounds. Tapes also sound great on Ricks.

Rezdog

• Members

Somewhat true. You don't get the natural body grounding when touching them that you get with metallic surface strings. Only makes a difference, though, if the bass is noisy to begin with. My Kania isn't. :)

Archived