I am awesome.

Thunderbroom

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Delay issues?

That should be purely a function of how far you are away from the PA speakers. The inherent delays in the wireless units are small enough to be imperceptible. The signal travels at nearly the speed of light from your transmitter to the receiver.

Maybe its a function of the frequency response of the respective instruments; that the delay is more noticeable with the higher frequencies from the guitar.

• Moderators

Maybe its a function of the frequency response of the respective instruments; that the delay is more noticeable with the higher frequencies from the guitar.

That was my guess. Either way, you're a good distance from the stage before the speed of sound starts messing with you.

• Members

I'd love to believe you L. Ron, because I know you kick ass in physics and anything electronic, but my Samson UHF receiver also had delay issues when I was about 20-30 metres away from the receiver. They were pretty noticeable, my signal just seemed to be lagging behind.

• Members

That was my guess. Either way, you're a good distance from the stage before the speed of sound starts messing with you.

I think that the typical threshold is about 30ms for a delayed signal to actually sound delayed. That's about 33 feet, assuming 340M/s for the speed of sound. You'd probably need to be 50 or more feet back for it to start screwing with you in any meaningful way.

• Members

I'd love to believe you L. Ron, because I know you kick ass in physics and anything electronic, but my Samson UHF receiver also had delay issues when I was about 20-30 metres away from the receiver. They were pretty noticeable, my signal just seemed to be lagging behind.

Right, but were you 20-30 metres away from your amp, too?

:poke:

• Members

Delay issues?

That should be purely a function of how far you are away from the PA speakers. The inherent delays in the wireless units are small enough to be imperceptible. The signal travels at nearly the speed of light from your transmitter to the receiver.

The delay was certainly a function of how far we were out. We started noticing the timing/delay on his before mine. No big deal.

The gig before the one pictured (which was this past Saturday), he and I went out as well. We went out too far and we were both noticing the delay so we changed our playing to match up to what we were hearing out of the mains and it totally messed with the band on stage. Needless to say we don't stray too far now.

• Members

The delay was certainly a function of how far we were out. We started noticing the timing/delay on his before mine. No big deal.

The gig before the one pictured (which was this past Saturday), he and I went out as well. We went out too far and we were both noticing the delay so we changed our playing to match up to what we were hearing out of the mains and it totally messed with the band on stage. Needless to say we don't stray too far now.

Yep, that's what happens when you do that.... :D

You should try swapping wirelesses sometime to see if you get the same results. I'm willing to bet that it is because the shorter wavelengths of the guitar signal make the same amount of actual delay more audible.

This thread hijack in no way detracts from your awesomeness. :)

Archived