Backup Generators Rule!

Thunderbroom

• Members

A few years ago we had a huge storm come through and the power went out. Unfortunately my backup sump pump failed to start and my basement flooded. Since then I pickup up a Honda Harmony 2.5kVa portable generator. I haven't had to use it in the years that I've owned it until this week.

On Monday our power went out around 8p and didn't come back on until 3p on Tuesday. In the 9 years I've lived here, I've lost power twice: The aforementioned time and this time. Thanks to the generator, neither my basement flooded nor did any food spoil.

If you're a homeowner (and even if you're renting), I'd highly recommend a generator.

This has been a Tbroom PSA.

• CMS Author

I know someone who had one of those whole-house gensets installed, with the automatic sensing and switching. Power goes out for more than 10 seconds, it starts up the genset and when it settles in, if the power is still out, it automatically disconnects from the service and engages the genny power. Runs on propane in this case, or natural gas. 12kW......

• Members

I know someone who had one of those whole-house gensets installed, with the automatic sensing and switching. Power goes out for more than 10 seconds, it starts up the genset and when it settles in, if the power is still out, it automatically disconnects from the service and engages the genny power. Runs on propane in this case, or natural gas. 12kW......

If I lived in an area with frequent power outages, I'd consider something like that.

• Members

Chunky-b's addendum to T-brooms PSA:

"Small protable generators are great, but they are for OUTSID EUSE ONLY. Every storm we have or extended pwer outage (hurricane, tornados, etc.) there is at lesat one dumb-ass with the generator inside the F'in house who kills himself and a few family members with CO2 gas. Hey! You! Out of the gene pool!!!" :facepalm:

This concludes Chunky-B's PSA addendum and we now return you to your regularly scheduled forum... :lol:

• Members

+1

I have a battery back-up and a gas generator for when the outage lasts longer than 8 hours and/or the water is rising too fast.

The battery back-up has enough charge to last until I get home from work and fire up the gas generator.

PD

• Members

I'm considering one, but I'll probably get a 7kVa or better unit, so I can back feed the entire house and use everything but the dryer.

Briggs & Stratton make a nice permanently installed 7 kVa unit that runs on natural gas for $1700.

I have to check and see if I have room next to my furnace outside to mount it. That should be a piece of cake, then I could use make a disconnect so the Generator could fee the AC unit directly and the back feed the rest of the house on the AC unit line since it's 10/3.

The things that bother me about portable generators are the noise and the run time. I rarely have more than two gallons of gas laying around and most portable generators are flipping loud. Perhaps that's changed. :idk:

• Members

Hasn't changed.

Since it's for emergency use, I really don't care. I put mine in the driveway, run a heavy duty cord to my stuff, and close the garage door.

Mine is set in a foundation so the Zombies can't run off with it.

• Members

I have one, bought during out big flood a couple of years bag, it's sitting in back, under a tarp, chained to the deck support. Never ever put oil in it and started it. I'd better get it set up and going before I need it...

• Members

The things that bother me about portable generators are the noise and the run time. I rarely have more than two gallons of gas laying around and most portable generators are flipping loud. Perhaps that's changed.
:idk:

If you have the coin, get a Honda! Those things are dead quiet! Pricey though! As for gas, I have 2 5 gallon containers that I keep handy (not currently filled) in case of a power outage.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Don't waste your money on Briggs & Stratton. It will only lead to headaches. If you can't afford a Honda then save up some more. I had a Yamaha at one time and it was crap even though it was a clone of a Honda. Bottom line, whether it's motorcycles, cars or generators, Honda is the best.

• Members

Hasn't changed.

Since it's for emergency use, I really don't care. I put mine in the driveway, run a heavy duty cord to my stuff, and close the garage door.

+1 except ours is on an outdoor covered patio/deck/porch.

Hurricane Claudette

Claudette.jpg

tossed a tornado down the road from us and snapped three main feeder poles(not to mention the other load of grid problems). The power company got us "back on the grid" about 2 weeks later. Our mid-sized Briggs & Stratton kept the fridg, freezer, DTV, internet, and one 10,000 BTU window unit running in a family-sized bedroom for two weeks. It also can run our water well but only of all other loads are removed. Noise? Yes....but music to ones ears when the power is out and it's 95 degrees out side and the power company ain't selling...so what'cha' buyin'?

• Members

Don't waste your money on Briggs & Stratton. It will only lead to headaches. If you can't afford a Honda then save up some more. I had a Yamaha at one time and it was crap even though it was a clone of a Honda. Bottom line, whether it's motorcycles, cars or generators, Honda is the best.

My Briggs & Stratton generator is about 20 years old and runs like new. My 2Briggs & Straton powered riding mowers run fine after 18 and 9 years respectively. I guess you do have to change the oil every couple of years though.........

:D

Archived