Im sick of playing the guitar. how to get into bass?

emir

• Members

Been here forever man....

My parents moved here in '63.

I wonder if we know any of the same people.

I'm 40 this year though...most of the people I hung with in Tulsa were the first-gen punk crowd, and a lot of them have moved away. Or died, in some cases.

• Members

That is, until you realize that a bassist will use different scales and modes than a guitarist would...

This I don't agree with - pentatonic, dorian, mixolydian, even harmonic or melodic minor - there are no restrictions on the scale itself, but unless you're playing lead bass the note SELECTIONS within those scales will be more foundational and supportive.

• Members

Learn all John Paul Jones's Led zeppelin bass lines

+10.

Start With "Ramble On", then move on to "The Lemon Song".

Oh yeah, LOSE THE PICK - seriously, learn to play consistently and with good tone with your fingers, that will take some serious time to do it right....

• Members

get a (both used) G&L Tribute 2000, or a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz (both amazing basses, dont let the Squier name or pricetag gool you on those) and a Roland Cube combo...... take it from there.... just be very humble and go and take it step by step by step.... dont think you could ever play like the bassists you love the first time you pick up a bass..... Victor Wooten, Jamerson, Jaco Pastorius, Marcus Miller... those are all guys we will never ever hope to be able to emulate, and, when you get to a certain point with your bass playing, you'll know exactly what i'm talking about.

• Members
I wonder if we know any of the same people.

I'm 40 this year though...most of the people I hung with in Tulsa were the first-gen punk crowd, and a lot of them have moved away. Or died, in some cases.

I bet probably not...
I'm 47. About the time you were getting out of high school I was getting out of the music biz and getting a day job.

I used to hang @ Music Sound World starting at about 14 years old though.
Too bad Randy had to close down this year. :(

• Members
I bet probably not...

I'm 47. About the time you were getting out of high school I was getting out of the music biz and getting a day job.

Probably so. I did hang out and jam with a lot of people a little older than me though.

I used to hang @ Music Sound World starting at about 14 years old though.

Too bad Randy had to close down this year.
:(

Yeah, I heard about that. My mother sent me an article from the paper about it (I still have family in Tulsa, Tahlequah and Norman.)

You must remember Strings West--down around 6th and Peoria? That place was incredible. Right next door was Golden Pawn...that pawn shop was a magnet for cool gear back in the day. I used to haunt pawn shops in Chicago and New Orleans and rarely saw a selection of vintage to oddball guitars, basses and amps and stuff that was near as good as GOlden Pawn.

Strings West is long gone but I think Larry has a shop in Skiatook or someplace. Last time I was there, the Golden Pawn was still in operation but it wasn't but a shade of its former glory.

• Members

Probably so. I did hang out and jam with a lot of people a little older than me though.

Yeah, I heard about that. My mother sent me an article from the paper about it (I still have family in Tulsa, Tahlequah and Norman.)

You
must
remember Strings West--down around 6th and Peoria? That place was incredible. Right next door was Golden Pawn...that pawn shop was a magnet for cool gear back in the day. I used to haunt pawn shops in Chicago and New Orleans and rarely saw a selection of vintage to oddball guitars, basses and amps and stuff that was near as good as GOlden Pawn.

Strings West is long gone but I think Larry has a shop in Skiatook or someplace. Last time I was there, the Golden Pawn was still in operation but it wasn't but a shade of its former glory.

+1 about Golden Pawn.....

I bought a '70's Jazz there that played and sounded better than any bass I had ever owned. If it didn't get stolen after a gig a couple of years later I would still have it now! I wound up buying the Ibanez PJ in my avatar pic from Randy right after. (I had 3 days to come up with another bass before our next gig.)

Archived