Pain in Neck = Trip to Hospital

Hotblack

• Members

Had a pain in my neck start Sunday evening. I thought I slept on it funny, maybe it was just a bad cramp... something along those lines.

The pain would not go away. It just kept coming and going. One hour, I would be fine, the next, I was close to blacking out. Wednesday night, it became unbearable, so I took a little trip to the emergency room.

Herniated C6. No nerve damage, no pressure on spinal cord. I feel like a jackass in this soft collar, but being doped to the gills is helping with the embarrassment.

So... how the hell are you all?:thu:

• Members

I had an incredibly bad back spasm a couple weeks ago that landed me in the emergency room. Back was fine for a week and then I play basketball this morning and screw it up again. I'm back on muscle relaxants and norco for pain:thu:

It's not as bad as last time, thank god!

Dan

• Members

Had a pain in my neck start Sunday evening. I thought I slept on it funny, maybe it was just a bad cramp... something along those lines.

The pain would not go away. It just kept coming and going. One hour, I would be fine, the next, I was close to blacking out. Wednesday night, it became unbearable, so I took a little trip to the emergency room.

Herniated C6. No nerve damage, no pressure on spinal cord. I feel like a jackass in this soft collar, but being doped to the gills is helping with the embarrassment.

So... how the hell are you all?
:thu:

Ouch! :eek:

Glad to hear you're going to be ok.

What treatment did they perform for it in the ER? No surgery needed, I assume?

• Members

I had an incredibly bad back spasm a couple weeks ago that landed me in the emergency room. Back was fine for a week and then I play basketball this morning and screw it up again. I'm back on muscle relaxants and norco for pain:thu:

It's not as bad as last time, thank god!

Dan

gonna have to take it easy old man ;)

I'm actually dealing with a bit of a scare and rather a serious thing right now, a few weeks ago I had the worst pain ever in my lower back and arm , brought me to tears it was so bad but I toughed it out and finally saw a Dr. the other day , he was unsure but wanted me to have a chest CAT scan , so I go in for the Alien autopsy and they come out and say " you can't leave " We need to do it again with injecting dye this time , this was yesterday btw , I'm like oh {censored} . After that fun event they come out and say " we've found something " A blood clot passed to lungs " and you will probably be going to the hospital . :facepalm: so ,many blood test later , my Dr. put me on blood thinners " self injections" and I'm home now and I need to go do an injection, it's not that bad really I did one last night . I'm lucky I'm here though , one of the Dr's said " and you are still breathing ?" so I'm lucky , My Dr. is shocked as , as he says it "I'm too young" and in very good shape , it's rare and I should be fine , but it's all a little unnerving .

• Members

So... how the hell are you all?
:thu:

You did the right thing. And yeah, wearing the collar is no fun but if left unattended the pain can get much, much worse. The good news is that most herniated disc problems, given the proper treatment and (here's the frustrating part) time will heal themselves.

Hang in there mang and watch the meds! :thu:

PD

• Members

Best of luck healing!

Man, I can sympathize!

I blew out C5-6 in '93, C6-7 in '94.

1st operation, 1995, fused C5-6-7, using hip bone as doner bone.

2nd operation, 2006, rework, refused C6-7, using hip bone and a ti plate.

After several months healing, felt fantastic! Then that jackass last year ran head-on into me. Now I have additional bulging disks at C4 and T1, as well as the lower back, L-4-5, and L5-S1 is ruptured. So there will probably be another operation soon.

In my experience, they push off the operations as long as possible. But if it's bad, an operation is inevitable. Luckily, they are starting to work with A) artificial discs, and B) microscopic discectomies, where they repair the ruptured disc.

I hope it all works well for you!

• Members

Ouch!
:eek:
Glad to hear you're going to be ok.

What treatment did they perform for it in the ER? No surgery needed, I assume?

Mostly pain medication, x-rays and MRI.

The MRI was done to ensure that I did not have any form of tumor in my neck that might have caused the problem. Talk about being scared as I waited for the results of that test. It does not appear that I will need any surgery. I have a follow-up appointment sometime in the coming week.

I'm feeling better, though tender. I've got full range of motion back, so I'm hoping for the best.

• Members

Best of luck healing!

Man, I can sympathize!

I blew out C5-6 in '93, C6-7 in '94.

1st operation, 1995, fused C5-6-7, using hip bone as doner bone.

2nd operation, 2006, rework, refused C6-7, using hip bone and a ti plate.

After several months healing, felt fantastic! Then that jackass last year ran head-on into me. Now I have additional bulging disks at C4 and T1, as well as the lower back, L-4-5, and L5-S1 is ruptured. So there will probably be another operation soon.

In my experience, they push off the operations as long as possible. But if it's bad, an operation is inevitable. Luckily, they are starting to work with A) artificial discs, and B) microscopic discectomies, where they repair the ruptured disc.

I hope it all works well for you!

Winner of the post that has brought Hotblack closest to fainting award!

Best wishes man. I've only had a sampling of what you're going through, and it's already at the top of my "least wanting to repeat" list.

• Members

Winner of the post that has brought Hotblack closest to fainting award!

Best wishes man. I've only had a sampling of what you're going through, and it's already at the top of my "least wanting to repeat" list.

Thanks, I think...

(In 4-1/2 years and 15k+ in posts, I think this is the first award I've ever one. I am deeply touched. :D )

In all honesty, if it becomes anything more, to me it's worth going out of your way to get the best you can find and explore. This is far more complex, delicate, and non-routine than say, wart removal.

Best 'o luck, HB! :thu:

Archived