Why are Alembics getting so expensive?

RoboChrist

• Members

It's funny, because I haven't seen a new one sitting in any store around here for the last ten years at least...so they purely must be doing custom orders. I just don't get how a company can post the prices they do on their website...$18,000...who can afford that? Up here that's a downpayment on your second home:facepalm:

That being said, I would love to get me a fretless Essence someday when I win the lottery. {censored}ers.:mad:

• Members
:idk: Every single screw is made by a different hippie ? :lol: I'm a big fan some of the finer basses I have ever played eveything is custom made and with those super custom jobs they invite you up to pick out all the woods and have um brownies too IIRC .

• Members

their prices are directly proportional to the cost of weed.everyone knows you can't build a half decent instrument without the good stuff .
:rolleyes:

dirty hippies....

:poke:

I could buy a {censored}ton of dope with the scratch that would get me an Alembic!

• Members

It's funny, because I haven't seen a new one sitting in any store around here for the last ten years at least...so they purely must be doing custom orders. I just don't get how a company can post the prices they do on their website...$18,000...who can afford that? Up here that's a downpayment on your second home:facepalm:

That being said, I would love to get me a fretless Essence someday when I win the lottery. {censored}ers.
:mad:

Those are list prices, you know. If you buy through a dealer, there is some discount. :facepalm:

There are many lawyers, doctors, and other professionals who can (and do) maintain demand for their instruments.

Also, consider that they make most of their own components and electronics, and build their instruments in one of the most expensive areas of the country in which to do so.

Add that to the notions of "artistry" and "mystique" which they've built up over the years, and the cost begins to make some sense.

• Members

Getting
so expensive? They've BEEN expensive since day one, where have you been?

Their prices have been going up a lot; especially over the last, well, ever since I started wanting one which was over a decade ago...:cry:

The Essence came out around 1992 I think and was tagged at $2200...that same model is now over $5000...the others have gone up, but I can't give an accurate amount. I guess the market is willing to bear it, which sucks for guys like me.

• Members

Their prices have been going up a lot; especially over the last, well, ever since I started wanting one which was over a decade ago...
:cry:

The Essence came out around 1992 I think and was tagged at $2200...that same model is now over $5000...the others have gone up, but I can't give an accurate amount. I guess the market is willing to bear it, which sucks for guys like me.

Cost of materials and transportation has gone up a ton in that time, too. From reading the Alembic forums, that is the main reason for price increases (along with the doubtless spiraling cost of living/working/manufacturing in the area). Since they're a relatively small business using fairly specialized and/or rare raw materials, they don't have the ability to insulate themselves from the forces of the market as much as a company like Fender might, since they don't have the same buying power, nor can they buy material in the same quantity.

• Members

Anyone who would pay for a new Alembic has more money than sense. There is no way they are worth it. Not to mention you can find a used for for about 1/8th the price of a new one.

Dan

Unless you want a completely custom instrument, in which case one would suppose that it's worth it to get exactly what you want.

• Members

Unless you want a completely custom instrument, in which case one would suppose that it's worth it to get exactly what you want.

The only thing they offer that other companies don't is their electronics. If you absolutely have to have their electronics, then buy an Alembic. Otherwise, there are better basses out there for much much less.

Dan

• Members

Different, maybe; better is arguable.

+1

Alembic basses don't really sound like anything else out there. Despite the shortcomings of mine, I'd still rank it in the top 3 basses I've ever played (and I've played a lot.)

And from the newer ones I've played, their woodwork and hardware craftsmanship is essentially perfect.

I know I sound like an apologist, and I can't justify the cost of a new one, but the company does make instruments that are really special. If you're expecting a Fender, you will be disappointed, but if you're willing to work with one of their Series basses for a time to find a sound that fits you, it's worthwhile.

:)

Archived